getting kids to market weight

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by steffb, Feb 2, 2008.

1. steffb

steffb New Member

Is there any thing I can feed to get my kids to market weight in record time. I had one doe kid yesterday and the rest due next week. My problem is I have customers wanting them for Easter. What will put weight on them in a hurry. I guess I am not at all concerned with how it will effect the kid since it is for meat.
    Thanks
    Steff

2. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Easter ain't but 8 weeks away......them kids are pretty much bound for mostly milk between now and then. Not to sure that there is a whole lot that you are gonna do in that limited amount of time and diet that will change things significantly........maybe next year , try to kid some in Nov. or Dec. if you are gonna have an Easter market for some.
    Whim

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

roght now it is milk milk and more milk offer them a good meat goat pellet and a tiny bit of calf manna Think it was Ken that suggested babies grow better without hay offered right away. make sure dams have good alfalfa or pellets so she has plenty of milk

4. steffb

steffb New Member

Now if I could get those girls to go into heat in June I'd be in good shape. I am sure I will have to drop the price this year.

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

We took our doelings off mom so the wether bound for showing had all the milk...Twice a day my daughter went out and put the buckling on the opposite teat to nurse it, got him used to nursing both sides, and then milked out the doe. She produced more and more milk, he drank more and more milk and in the process bonded with my daughter who then sold them as tame really well grown kids. Milk, milk and more milk is what is going to grow these kids fast and fat. Sell them on full milk because the day they are weaned they start slicking off that fat. Vicki