Getting GM not to gel

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by redskygal, Mar 18, 2008.

1. redskygal

redskygal New Member

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to get my colors to stay true and become more consistent, I have read that if you don't have your GM soap gel it will help with this.
    For those of you who don't gel your GM soap, do you put it in the fridge or do you use a freezer? And can it make the things in the fridge/freezer taste like the scent?

Thanks,
    Kellyjo

2. Kalne

Kalne New Member

If I have something that gets particularly hot I will raise it up off the table and put a fan on it. Sometimes that is enough to prevent overheating and/or gel. I have never tried the fridge thing. There's just no room and I too would be worried about taste. When I use my oven I have to air it out really well before baking in it.

3. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

I want all my soaps to gel; goat milk included. :D

However, if I use a fragrance with a really low flashpoint I can prevent it from heating up by sticking the mold in the fridge. I've never had a problem with the the scent getting in the food in my fridge. I have also been known to put the mold outside in the cold garage in the winter (I live in Minnesota).

I also OP my soap and have never had to air out my oven before using it.

Sara

4. Kalne

Kalne New Member

Oh Sara.....the first time I OP'd I could taste the soap in the next day's dinner! Ewwww! But I sometimes think I am overly sensitive to such things. LOL

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Same here except for sitting outside here :)

6. Aja-Sammati

Aja-Sammati Active Member

I make a Grapefruit with a pink clay swirl that I don't allow to gel, but the grapefruit EO doesn't get hot, so I can just put it into the oven without turing the heat on, and it doesn' gel. Some fragrances gel so fast that I don't have to turn the oven on!

You aren't the only one! Strong scents really stick in the oven to us. We prehest the oven to 400+ to burn off the smell before we bake anything- Dragon's Blood flavored cake is nasty :yuck