Gel or no gel?

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by Kalne, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Kalne

Kalne New Member

Do you gel all your soaps? I use to not worry about it. But then sometimes I got partial gel and didn't like the look of it. Then I started gelling everything. But now I'm getting ready to work with color more and am thinking of proactively trying not to gel. If I oven process them they are definitely darker. I know some of it is my oils....RBO, OO, and palm I'm told tend to darken. BUt I can see a definite difference in the ones that gel from those with the same recipe that didn't gel.

2. lynpea

lynpea New Member

I gel. I use a heating pad set on high. I just did two loaves one with chrome green ultramarine with TD and the other with pink UM and TD. Both came out great and didn't darken. I also used to get the partial gel and now I don't. I did oven gel some OMH and boy did it get dark, I don't use the oven anymore. When I get to the point where I am doing alot, I will stack them and wrap them. Right now I am doing 6 # at a time and it fits perfectly on my heating pad.

3. Kalne

Kalne New Member

Hmmm, maybe it's the oven thing then. I think I'll try to gel another test batch and not put it in the oven. I was amazed at how light the ones that didn't gel were. How long do you let yours sit on the heating pad?

4. lynpea

lynpea New Member

Mine automatically turns off after 1 1/2 hours. so I turn it on high, lay a towel over it, put the molds on a cookie sheet, cover with another cookie sheet and cover that with more towels. It'll stay that way for 12 hours.

5. I gel all of my soap. I hate partial gel. I have plenty of light colored soaps too that turn out fine.
    Becky

6. GallopingGoats

GallopingGoats New Member

I don't like to gel. I like my GM Soap to stay cold. Shannon

7. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I gell some, like Watermellon because mine will partial gel and it's ugly with a darker rim around the outside and white in the middle. Others I don't gel because they are soo much prettier light, especially those with herbs in them. So I keep notes, have started laminating my recipe and exact instructions for each soap I make, so I follow the exact thing each time. Vicki

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Ok so if you OP then you gel right??

9. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

Yes, OP is definetely gelling.

I have some that gel and some that I don't just like everyone else. Mostly due to my colors morphing.

Bethany

10. beaglady

beaglady New Member

I always gel my honey recipe, sometimes not the other one. Like everyone else, it depends on the finished color I want.

Diane W