Geeze what a big baby "link to pictures added"

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Sheryl, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

one of my ff's went in to labor today just as it was time to take dd to work. I told her you better call cause you're gonna be late. Poor doeling she was kinda small I think we maybe should have waited to breed her. Single birth, I had to fish for the legs and couldn't find the head when I got the legs out up to the knees, I knew it was a darn buck! It took me and dd both to get him out. I didn't think he was gonna come out. I knew I'd killed my doeling. DD finally found the nose and got it tipped down. The problem was his head and shoulders were too big for her!. We finally through pulling and dd manouvering the hips on the doeling as I pulled got him to slip out. The poor doeling flopped and I mean flopped on the ground screaming, legs sticking straight out and wouldn't get up. I just knew I'd killed her. I was gonna be pissed if I lost her over a halfbreed buck! Although he is georgeous. Midnight black with white splashes on his sides. He's almost three times as big as the two babies born on the 24th! But alas he's no good to me. My daughter massaged the doeling's hind legs, hips, and sides, and managed to roll her over onto her belly and she was finally able to get up. I stood there ad cried cause I thought we'd ripped her. I took dd to work, got a thermometer cause I didn't have one, and if she went down, I wanted to know if she had a temp or not. got some prep H cause I'd read on here about putting it on the swollen vulva to help. I don't have any banimen sp? cause I don't have a vet that will write me scripts. So came home, but prepH on the swollen area careful not to get it on exposed tissue. She's pretty swollen up. But i milked her, got the afterbirth to pass, it looked good. Gave her CD/T cause she hadn't had one, and gave her some penicillin just as a precaution (that's the only antiboitic I have right now) I let the girls out to pasture after feeding tonight for about an hour, and she went out with everone. Seems to be doing fine. Checked on her a little while ago. She was kinda hunkered over like she was in labor, and passed a little bit of very red blood, but I think she is okay. She's not acting like she feels bad. So I'll keep an eye on her.

I have to say one thing for this forum. If I had not read all the stuff I've read here, the doeling would be dead. I would have been too afraid of what I was doing to go fishing after she couldn't get him out on her own. Soo you guys have help dd and myself so very much with all your info.

So now, I'm two bucklings and one doeling! Cabrito anyone?

Sheryl

ps according to our old broken down scales he's around 12 to 13 lbs.

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Re: Geeze what a big baby

Sheryl if you need some RX stuff you need to contact me Congrats on gettin him out.

3. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

Thank you Sondra. I'll keep an eye on her and make sure she's doing okay. If she's not, I might give you a call. But if dd and I hadn't of been here to get him out and learned what we have on this site from everyone else's experiences, we would have absolutely lost her.

Sheryl

4. XCricketX

XCricketX New Member

WOW! CongratZ so far on not losing your doe!!!!

I'm so happy to have found this forum as well... I'm getting ready to experience my first goat birth end of March. I'm so nervous!!!

Good luck with your doe, I'll say a little prayer for her real quick! ^_^

Cricket

5. Melissa

Melissa New Member

got pic's of your miracle baby?

-Melissa

6. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

:biggrin am waiting till dd gets home from work to take pic's. the two babies from the 24th are quite active now. and I want to get a pic of the three of them together so you can see the monster. So one of us will take the pic while the other one corrals them together :laughcry

But I will try to get pic's up through photo bucket right?

Sheryl

7. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Pics would be great. He does sound like a monster, a really awesome-looking one though. Beautiful coloring by the way you described it. Way to go. I'll be experiencing a FF soon myself. This is my first time too. I hope everything goes alright. But like you I have learned SO much on this forum. I'm not as nervous as I used to be. Of course that doesn't mean I won't have a heart-attack while its happening. :faint

-Kim

8. Oregonian Chick

Oregonian Chick New Member

One of our experienced does kidded with a huge 11 pound monster and boy did I have a hard time getting him out! His head was huge and his shoulders massive. I was worried she had torn also. What we did (my mom and I) was clean her butt off and as you did put some preparation H on her vulva to help with swelling. She to was hunched over and acted like she was still maybe having contractions. When milking her she probably will start having some contractions as the uterus will be getting back in shape so to speak. I would keep an eye on her for fever and maybe to much bright blood but if she is eating and drinking fine and milking fine I wouldn't worry to much. Good job to you and your daughter!

Pictures please!

Justine

9. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

Okay guys lol Mom is sewing :) but I promised her I would post pics on the website and then post the link to them here. And since She needs to sew I temporarily hijacked her user name to post for her hehehehehehe. Okay with our old bathroom scales that don't really work all that great he weighed between 12-13lbs but when I got the weight tape around him earlier it said 15lbs and I instantly felt sorry for poor lil ole Prancer she's my christmas baby from a couple of yrs ago and I'm rather fond of her Horns and all (nope we didn't get her disbudded) he makes the 2 babies from the other day look like mini's he's a good 5-6 inches taller and about that many longer than them as well. So without further adeau I give you pics of "MONSTER" lol and the 2 lil ones from the other day "Yasmin & Brother"

http://www.sew-it-alls.com

Just click on the lil spot on the Home page that says "click here to see our Baby Goats"

And on top of Mom having said Thank you I'd Also like to Add my Thank you in there as well for all the Knowledge that all of you Ladies & Gentlemen Share no matter how many times the same question is asked.

Happy Goating Everyone
    Sheryls DD

10. donna

donna Member

OH MY, he is a big baby! Congratulations!!!!!

11. Re: Geeze what a big baby

OMGosh he is huge! I thought a 10 lber was big. I bet hes gonna give you a run while feeding.

12. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

Last year I had a first freshener, or was it the year before? give birth to Twin 10 and 11 lb buck kids the poor baby. I hope your girl gets healed o.k.

13. Brit.Tex

Brit.Tex New Member

:eek Wow... that IS a huge baby! I feel for your poor lil doe ... hope she is still doing ok.

Now I have a question that was provoked by the size of this buckling.. can goats have diabetes, specifically gestational diabetes?

I know in people that can cause babies that are huge...

14. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

Wow, that sounds exactly like what one of my does had... hers was a 12# doeling. Exactly the same...presented fine but took all the strength I had to get her out!! Doe was lying down screaming...and she is a second freshener! Took her a few days longer than the others to get back to normal but now she is fine. Hope all goes well with your doe too. Ouch!

15. Sondra

Sondra New Member

WOW what a big guy!! why is everyone having huge kids this year. Something in the water?? Cute kids all of them Sheryl

16. Good Goats

Good Goats New Member

Cute kid. . . but he's HUGE!!!! I thought my 10 lb guy was big :D.

17. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

well one of my second fresheners just presented me this morning with two doelings Woo hoo! and they are almost as big as yesterday's monster. I had to help with the first one and she was the smaller one, once she was out, the second larger one came out pretty quick. Mom goat is fine. the small doe was approx 10.5 to 11 lbs, and the second was closer to 12.5. Pretty airplane ears! but that's okay, they are out of my $50 alpine that is a 14* milker or would be if she was on test. she gives tons of milk. last year she gave me bucks and I was sooo hoping for girls this year. When I saw how big the first one was, I knew it was a buck, but dd looked and shouted DOE! and I was sooooo happy, and then the second was a doe woo hoo.

The ff from yesterday is doing great. Her little swollen out touchie is looking better, most of the swelling is gone (thanks for the prep H info) just a little stretched out but am hoping that will clear up in a week or so. Now I have to get back to sewing! And I have three laying out there now looking for all the world like they could pop at any moment. Hope it's a doe day for everybody.!

I am now 3 does, 2 bucks

Sheryl

18. Sondra

Sondra New Member

congrats hope those doe scents come my way but don't want those weights.

19. Melissa

Melissa New Member

OMG! I can't believe the size of that kid!!

-Melissa