gangrenous mastitis????

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Heavenly Angels, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Heavenly Angels

Heavenly Angels New Member

I am asking for a friend that I sold this doe to, She has a black udder & teat and she can not get her to a vet till midweek (DON"T KNOW WHY) she is in another state. Has any one ever had this and know how to treat it??? :( I know the situation is very grave!! :help2 thanks in advance!!

MARY LOU

2. the doe will be dead by mid week. Gangrenous mastitis can kill a doe overnight, it happened to a friend of mine and she was treating her.
    To save her.........intense round the clock nursingcare, supportive IV fluids, the strongest antibiotics, and probably mastectomy surgery.

Becky

3. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

See if you can get this person to join the forum. We generally don't answer questions via a third party as it is too difficult when we are not getting the entire story.

This is a very serious situation and likely won't have a good outcome. Time is of the utmost importance.

Sara

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Joyce has treatment and photos up on saanendoah.com Vicki

5. old dominion

old dominion New Member

Last year I had a doe cut her udder days before kidding. She developed gangrene mastitis. The doe had been looking off. After doing a regular check I saw the hint of blue in her udder. It was cold. I immediately started treating her with an Oxytetracycline . She immediately came around and never stopped milking in her good half. I corresponded with two people in CA who both told me if you can get her over the initial sickness the prognosis is good for the doe. But the udder that is dark will come off by itself or surgically.

The real question is how far along is she in terms of being sick from the mastitis.

BTW - This same doe kidded with triplets this spring and half an udder full of milk!

6. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

I bought a doe from a friend that lived through gangrene mastitis. She penned her seperate from the herd, and gave her massive doeses of antiobotics. She finally pulled through. Lost the udder half. she has wonderful genetics gives me great babies, and milks 1/2 gallon a milking in the one half. She told me it was touch and go for a while. I don't know what antiobotic or dose she used. I just know she said she gave her a lot.

Sheryl

7. The best thing for it that I have found...MASSIVE doses of LA-200. It will burn the fire out of them, but the carrier HCl(hydrocloric acid) is about the only thing that will stop it from getting into the other half.

If the udder is black already, well you lost that part of it. Just make sure that no gases are built up in the udder.

Ken in MO

8. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

The LA200, is that given IM, SubQ, or??
    I had my first ever case of gangrene mastitis this year. Lost one of my most promising FF yearlings to it one day after she freshened.
    I was giving her massive doses of LA200 subQ along with IV fluids, etc. I believe I did not catch it soon enough. At the end she was in so much pain that I finally put her down. I'd never seen it before and was shocked at how fast it came on. She was seemingly fine, normal and all the evening she kidded and the next morning was half dead. It was that night that I put her down.

9. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I saw a case of it once when I worked on the dairy farm. First thing the owner did was quarantine her from the other does. She milked out all the bloody infected stuff and infused her with dry cow. She gave the goat subQ antibiotics. I'm sure it was either PennG or Biomycin because that is what we used there. The doe pulled through, but lost that half of her udder. She was later culled because the dairy needed production. Kathie

10. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

A goat who doesn't have staph aureous can't get gangrenous mastitis/ malignant edema. So vaccinate with Lysigin, the vaccine for staph aureous. Vicki

11. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Yes, I saved goat and udder...but it was a loooonnnnngggg two weeks and it sure wasn't oxytetracycline or Penn G. Fluid Cultured E. Coli...gangrene mastitis.
    Kaye

12. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

Bruce and Nancy Nickel also vaccinated their show string with "J-Vac" for E-coli mastitis. She said between using it and Lysigin, they hardly ever had mastitis problems in the does. They were on the road nearly every weekend with them.

13. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I talked with my friend who had the dairy. She said to have the udder fluid cultured by the vet to see what med to use. It's been a long time since that case of mastitis, but she thinks she may have used Nuflor. Kathie

14. They actually can get gangrenous mastitis with ecoli type mastitis's too.