G6S ?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Wendy Tinney, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Wendy Tinney

Wendy Tinney New Member

Just read the post in 101 on G6S. Am I correct in the thinking that, if my bucks full brother/same kidding is YY (negative) than I don't need to test? If he is XY, then I need to test, because he could be XX or XY? Also, what if they were not from the same kidding, but still full brothers?

2. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

No we are all genectically different If you have bred a doe who is a Carrier to a buck who is a carrier, and she kids out quads, you could easily have two carriers, a full positive and a negative. they could also all be positive, all be negative, or all carriers. You Test Your Buck, you test Your does, when they are all Negative, then their kids are negative by inheritence. If you have too many does to afford all the testing at least test your bucks if you're worried about it. : )

3. Wendy Tinney

Wendy Tinney New Member

Thank you! I had no idea that 2 carriers could create a negative. Wish I would have known about this G6S when I sent off the rest of my blood. Is WADL okay for G6S testing?

Wendy

4. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

um a carrier has both a positive and a negative gene, they only contribute One gene towards this so you never know what combo they are going to contribute. Now a full positive isn't supposed to be able to live long enough to reproduce, but say it did then they would only be able to produce carriers and or positives, because thats all they Have to contribute.
    I used TVMDL
    But any place that will do a DNA test should be able to access the gene markers they want to isolate. What I'm trying to say "If they have the test available they should be fine."

5. Wendy Tinney

Wendy Tinney New Member

Got it! Thanks again! Better get going on this as I have already started breeding. You learn more new "goat" things on this site.

Wendy

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Pretty sure you have to use TVMDL, they are the ones who found and have the test for this lethal gene in nubians...I would bet most labs would go ?????

Also join Nubian Talk on groupsyahoo.com they have the listings of everyone who has tested and diclosed their test results on the forum. Vicki

7. Wendy Tinney

Wendy Tinney New Member

Thanks again! I think I joined a long, long time ago. Will go see if I can find that info.

Wendy