Funny tasting milk

Discussion in 'Cheese & Dairy' started by Thermopkt, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Thermopkt

Thermopkt New Member

I froze a bunch of milk so as to have some to drink during the dry period. Some of it tastes really, really goaty. It's all from the same goat and all treated the same. Most, but not all, the funny tasting stuff has been newer milk. Would being bred do something like that? Anything I can do to make it drinkable?

2. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

Not necessarily being bred but being around a rutty buck could do it.

Christy

3. Thermopkt

Thermopkt New Member

She was only in with the buck for two weeks in Dec. We drank all her milk at the time, didn't have any left to save. :)

4. Bilrite Farms

Bilrite Farms Guest

I think that freezing milk affects it. I have frozen milk and noticed a goaty smell to it when I thawed it but it was for kids so I never tasted it. I wonder too if end of lactation milk might be more concentrated in components, including what flavors it?

Never had funny milk here, sarcastic sometimes and a couple of times we've had angry milk (it curdled right away!) but most of the time it is pretty amicable.

Good luck,
    Trisha

5. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

what kind of freezer do you use? Frost free freezers are not good for freezing milk. The defrost cycle wreaks havoc on the structure of the milk.

Christy

6. Thermopkt

Thermopkt New Member

I don't know for sure, but if it's frost free, it sure sucks. It's a chest freezer, do they come in the frost free? The thing that makes me wonder is, all the milk from May and June of last year (the frozen stuff) was fine. As we got more recent it slowly became more ucky. Now we are into January's milk and all of it so far has been nasty. Also have trouble with the more recent stuff wanting to separte into yellowish liquid and white sludge. It's kind of gross.
    Only have the one freezer. My goat is nubian and somewhat of a prima donna, maybe her milk is too?:)

7. MysticHollowGoats

MysticHollowGoats New Member

If this was happening with milk here I would be testing for mastitis for sure.

8. Thermopkt

Thermopkt New Member

I tested her in Feb for that and it was negative. Think I should do it again after she freshens? This has only happened twice with the frozen milk so far, so I assumed it was the freezing or thawing process.

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

later in lactation you slough off and the somatic cell count is higher so this could be your problem. or that there was a new weed they got into.