Full Rut?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Anita Martin, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

I am just curious about bucks in rut right now. Anyone's guys coming in yet? Our boy isn't there yet. Last year he started in Sept. We live in Va. Just wondering if it varies in different parts of the country?

2. chewie

chewie New Member

i would like to know some of that info too. i have a buck born in january, i hope to use this fall. so far, i see no action! i was really hoping for some early breedings.

3. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

It's starting here in Southern Ark. The 3 mature bucks(Obie,Saanen & Togg) stink to high heaven and are already spraying. Still eating as of today! But not sure how much longer.
    3 does with CIDRs due to come out on the 26th...so the boys will be ready.

2 bucklings born Feb.(Obie) and May (Togg) are starting to learn to spray :rofl (aim still leaves a little to desire) but they're trying to romance the doelings penned next to them. Weekend project is to get a pen between these juveniles!
    Kaye

4. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

Our boys are definitely EARLY!!!

To walk to the barn is a pungent experience.... (all the Boers are down there and the 2 3 yr. old Saanen bucks). The Boer bucks just had girls introduced on Monday AM (the lucky boys get to pen breed) while the 2 Saanens turn green with envy. This AM Viking (Saanen) wasn't interested in food but was instead snuffing at me - disgusting, really!

The Saanens have been smelly for at least 1 week.... the 5 month old Boer buck (Collateral Damage grandson and Gorgeous) that just was put in the pen with 2 pretty older does may not smell, but he started jumping up and arching his back. Oh yeah, he knows what to do!

I can't wait for the yearling Saanens/Sable bucks to start competing. :nooo Smelly proposition - yikes!

Camille

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Yep mine are starting to stink but not bad yet

6. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

My buck (ND) never really quits, so I can only say that he's light, medium, or heavy duty. I would say he's close to medium right now.......I have notice than in the last 2 weeks that I have had a couple hotter heats on the girls, so it won't be long now before Harry goes "heavy duty".

Whim

7. Rambar Ranch

Rambar Ranch New Member

Our bucks have been in full rut for over a month now. They've been pacing the fenceline of the does just hoping to be able to get in. The does are on their second heat cycle already, way earlier than usuall. Luckily their still eating decent for all the exercise of pacing they've been doing.

Ray

8. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

WEll our young bucks have been stinking for over a month but the old guy is just now doing his thing so things are starting to stink up around here.

Autumn

9. Wendy Tinney

Wendy Tinney New Member

It was opposite for me. The older buck was stinking up the place. Sold him (not cuz he stunk), and now it's not near as stinky out there. That's the good news. Now for the bad news, the girls don't seem to be coming in heat anymore. I guess it is time to start loving that horrific smell and those wet beards and legs.

10. hamilton40

hamilton40 New Member

My two nubian bucks have been pretty heavy for the last 3 or 4 weeks but my girls have not been doing much yet.

Clay

11. Ours are in full rut and have been for a while.
    We've bred 2 does so far and have 3 in heat today.
    Becky

12. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Member

Ours have been in full rut for a couple of months already!

Actually, they only had about a 6 week period where they went OUT of rut this year. They were in ALLLLLL winter. Go figure.

Tracy

13. coso

coso Guest

Yep, three year old has been stinking for the last three weeks now. The February buckling is getting there. I gave Corid to him last night and he sprayed me(wish I hadn't been wearing shorts and clogs :groan ) and then I got to smelling my hand where I had grabbed him around the neck and whew !!!!!!!!!!

14. Leo

Leo New Member

It's been full on rut for over a month now. I hate hoof trimming bucks in rut, I always get sprayed, ick.
    Megan

15. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:rofl Laughing at Chris!! Don't ya' know better than to handle a buck in shorts & clogs, at any age!??? If not, you do now! :rofl

Blasted April Saanen doeling is in heat this morning and yelling her head off! I actually was trying to figure out what the devil was wrong with her... :blush till she walked away from me. DUH!

Bo-Se, wormings, and hoof trimmings are in order for the bucks on Sat.! Ugh, DH & I are NOT looking forward to that. Have to band 4 calves, but that's insignificant compared to the bucks.
    Kaye

16. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

Oh my goodness.....I am sooo glad I already trimmed our bucks hooves...although I am sure he will need it again before it's over. I also clipped him, including his beard. I'm kind of worried now that he'll spray himself and get a rash...I was hoping he would not smell quite as bad. Our barn is going up at the moment, and then we're hoping to put the boys in the big pasture away from, but just across the fence, everybody else. Hurry hurry hurry. I hope he doesn't start spraying while my builder is out there!

17. Haglerfarm

Haglerfarm New Member

Mine have been interested for awhile now. But, since last Friday they have really cranked up. We had a cool front come through and the humidity went down. I had 6 does at the fence Sunday morning. You can hear the bucks carrying on all the way to the house.
    Leslie

18. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

My bucks are in rut and have been for at least a month now. The worst is my March (white!) LaMancha buckling. Since we attend several buck shows throughout the spring our bucks tend to stay in various stages of rut almost year round.

Sara

19. The boys are getting there. Ten bucks in one pen (this includes one taht cannot breed). The two little boys (March/April) are not bad yet. They are not near any does/doelings though.
    I need to get the bigger boys out. William is starting to smack the little boys around when there is the rare doe in heat on the other side of the fence.
    My does just don't seem to be cycling yet! The prevention doelings have all been in heat. An early January doeling was in heat yesterday. All old enough to breed, but none are the does I plan to breed for January.
    I have nobody bred yet! :nooo

20. kelebek

kelebek Guest

I had a ND buck that I finally had to sell because he was the WORST buck I had ever smelt and he was in rutt all year no matter what. If I brought in a new doe - she was in heat within a couple days. He was pure white (well supposed to be).