frozen goat milk questions

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Jennie, May 31, 2008.

1. Jennie

Jennie New Member

I have a lady coming to get some frozen goat milk from me tomorrow. She asked the question about it separating when it is thawed and if it is still ok to use if it does. I told her that I heard that it is still ok, but to just mix it back up. The milk with be used for a orphaned fawn. Was I correct? Is there a way to thaw it so it doesn't separate? Thanks for the help.

Jennie

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

It's the opposite. If you milk, strain and freeze, without letting it set in the fridge, where the butterfat starts to seperate out, than it will freeze without seperation. But if you let it set in the fridge even until it is just cold, you will have some butterfat seperate out.

The deer folks buy my milk because they don't have to fuss with the blending of that butterfat back in that keep the milk going into the nipples.

Or the milk is just plain gross :) Vicki

3. Katarina

Katarina New Member

So, does that mean if I am going to freeze it for humans during the winter I should not put ice in it to get it cold, I should just milk, strain, put in freezer?

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

No I start cooling the milk in my can which is strained first...I just can't strain chilled milk it takes too long, so I strain it first. Pour it into jugs and freeze. I think some of it is that we do use 1/2 gallon jugs, but I quit chilling the milk before freezing (ice around the jugs in the dairy sink) a long time ago. Nobody could tell the difference, it was a waste of time and ice. Vicki

5. Katarina

Katarina New Member

6. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

If you blend it, it all mixes back up again. Good to go.

How fun, Jennie, to know you are feeding a fawn. Way cool!

7. Jennie

Jennie New Member

Well that is good to know because that is how I did it. I hated to throw it out so I started freezing it. As soon as milking was done it was strained and put in the freezer. Since the freezer is stuffed I made her a good deal.

Camille,I thought it was pretty cool also. She raised some last yr. They took off for the winter and then came back this spring. I asked her how they looked, wondering if they look as bad as the other deer around here right now. She said they were in pretty bad shape. This baby has been another lady's yr for the last two days. They wanted to wait and see if mom would come back. I guess she didn't.