Frozen GM ??'s

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Little Moon, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Little Moon

Little Moon New Member

When I take frozen milk out to thaw it separates - what am I doing wrong. I thaw the milk in a sink of cool water. I seem to have better results with that than if I set it out to thaw at room temperature. Sometimes the milk simply separates - milk on the bottom and watery(ish) substance on the top. Some times it almost appears to have curdled - tiny grain like "globs" that stay suspended in the milk. What is this and is it OK to drink - right now my chickens get to enjoy it when it thaws like this. BTW it smells fine.

Thanks,
    Anne

2. lexnspice

lexnspice New Member

I thaw mine in luke warm water, it does separete a little so i just shake up the bag and it comes togather, i get it warm that way and pour thur strainer into my milk bottles, they drink it just fine.

3. nightskyfarm

nightskyfarm New Member

Freeze you milk at the time of milking for the best results and thaw slowly in the fridge if it is to be for human use. For kids, I will thaw in warm water in the kitchen. I freeze in quart bags and the freshest milk seems to have the least separation.

4. Ashley

Ashley New Member

Yes, any milk I am going to freeze goes into the freezer immediately after it is chilled. It doesn't seperate. I don't know why it will separate if it isn't super fresh.

5. Necie@Lunamojo

Necie@Lunamojo Active Member

I'm anal. :/ LOL I can't stand all those misshapen bags in the freezer, so I freeze in one quart 'Rubbermaid' bowls, run hot water over the bottom to remove frozen milk from bowl and put 2 *blocks* of frozen milk in a gal ziplock. When I take them out, I pop the frozen blocks back in the bowls and cover and let them sit and thaw. As they thaw, I pour the milk off them into jars and put in fridge. This way the milk is always ice cold.
    I have found that the cream thaws out of the blocks first. ;) Once in awhile it is a bit grainy or has bits of cream, but usually a few shakes in the jar takes care of that.

6. hsmomof4

hsmomof4 New Member

You can also run it through the blender after it has thawed...that helps bring it back together.

7. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

We also defrost in the fridge, sure it takes 2 days, but it allows the butterfat and the milksoilds to defrost. For just soap or kid milk it goes into a hot water bath in the sink. I gave up on ziplock bags a long time ago, what a mess! I freeze in gallon and half gallon milk jugs.

Remember that it's fine to whiz your milk in a blender to drink instantly, but you have broken the fatty acid chain in the milk when you do this, it is going to go goaty tasteing much much quicker than milk with it's fatty acid chain not broken. Hence you can imagine why the canned milk in the stores is so awful with the trips it takes from pipeline to truck from truck to pasteurizer into cans to the store.....YUCK!

8. hsmomof4

hsmomof4 New Member

Yeah, I thought about that after I posted and then got distracted and didn't add it on. Thanks! :)

9. Little Moon

Little Moon New Member

Thanks ladies - I have been whirling some in the blender when I make coffee creamer and didn't realize this until now - but the coffee creamer never separates :blush2

Anne

10. MysticHollowGoats

MysticHollowGoats New Member

Is your coffee creamer recipe posted anywhere?

11. dragonlair

dragonlair Active Member

I have been having a horrible time with frozen milk this year. It all went fine until the doe started getting close to drying up. I milk, strain immediately and then right into the freezer it goes.

Now, no matter how I defrost, it separates into a clear fluid and a grainy, nasty looking mess. It tastes ok, but no matter what I do, it never goes back to milk. I've had to go back to drinking store bought cows milk because the frozen stuff is all nasty. I'm not even sure I can use it for soap!

12. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

If she is still in milk you may want to test her for mastitis, if dry, watch her carefully as she freshens this year. Vicki