Frozen ears

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Kalne, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Kalne

Kalne New Member

One of the girls kidded last night. Kids were found buried in the hay. One had frozen ear tips. We got them in and warmed them up. All seems fine except the one's ears. They're a little swollen. Is there anything we should/can do?

2. Chaty

Chaty New Member

I had 1 do that last winter ...the ears went down and he lost the tips off them. Sounds like frostbite to me...just basically watch for infection on them and I hope they get better.

3. Kalne

Kalne New Member

Okay....that's what I was thinking. At least it's one of the boys. (Is it awful to think that way?)

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

All I have read is to warm them up quickly with 104 to 105 warm water and watch for infection do not rub them What has happened is that the blood vessels have constricted and reduce blood to the tips of ears thus the warming helps the vessels to inlarge sending blood back in
    worst case synerio is that gangrene would develope so watch for infection.
    Just talked to my B-n-L in Stromsburg, NE said high today is 13 degrees and feels pretty warm HA!

5. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I've seen a number of cases of frostbitten ears on baby goats here in Montana. So far, none of them have gotten infected, though some did lose their ear tips.
    Kathie

6. Ravenwood

Ravenwood New Member

Sorry to hear about your frosty ears. Being in Alberta we've also had our share of frozen ears. Usually by the time they are swollen and puffy it is too late to do anything but keep an eye on them. They will shrivel up and fall off in a few weeks. I have never seen one end up with an infection either.