Freshening with no milk

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by theshihtzu, Mar 1, 2008.

1. theshihtzu

theshihtzu New Member

This kidding season isn't looking too good- I've had two girls freshen; second and fourth fresheners. Both singles, one this morning, and one over a week ago. Both of them are making VERY little milk; I'm having to buy milk for the babies. Tonight I milked the girl who kidded early this morning, and her colostrum barely covered the bottom of the pail.

Any idea what causes this? I'm really concerned, since I have several girls due soon, and only one is uddering up. Oh, babies are full term and healthy.

Thanks,
    Lisbeth

2. Doc

Doc New Member

Copper deficiency

3. theshihtzu

theshihtzu New Member

Wow, that one I would have never guessed! When I think of copper deficiency, I think of coat problems, fading color, bald tail tips, etc.

I guess I'd better take a better look at my mineral mix!

Lisbeth

4. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

The first think that comes to mind is calcium defiency which can be caused by many things your feed program which included your minerals, or lack there of or absorbtion of them. Your water?? what you have it in /is it well water So 1st tell us your feed and mineral program and temperatures on these girls. Also are their udders soft and pliable /have you tested for CAE? and keep in mind there are some goats that don't come in with their milk right away. however your 1st to freshen should by now be producing. Are you feeding alfalfa?

6. theshihtzu

theshihtzu New Member

Hmmm....I haven't taken temps, since they don't seem "sick". I'll do that this afternoon. Our water is well water. The mineral mix I feed is the same one I've always used; it's the same one we feed our cows. Their udders are soft and pliable. Our hay is a mixed grass/alfalfa that we grow ourselves.

Thanks for the replies; I'll post the temps this afternoon.

Lisbeth

7. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Can you go to your profile and put in your name and also your location and what kind of goats you are talking about.

Are there kids nursing? If they are they can drink alot of the milk as they get older, and in just average milkers they can drink all of it quickly.

What diet are they on? How much alfalfa is in the grass hay? Vicki

8. theshihtzu

theshihtzu New Member

I took their temps; they were 102.2 and 102.6. I'm bottle feeding the babies (always do). As for the alfalfa quantity in the hay, I don't think there is enough. When I lived in AZ, alfalfa was all I could find, and the goats thrived on it. Here in Iowa, people grow hay that is better for cows. I think it has too much grass for the amount of alfalfa/clover, but DH grows it the way he wants it.

Thanks everyone, for all the help and advice!
    Lisbeth
    SE Iowa

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

you proabably should get some alfalfa pellets to add for the milking does and pg does

10. theshihtzu

theshihtzu New Member

I think you're right, Sondra. I'll try and get to the feed store tomorrow. We've been "mudded in" for 2 days; the road grader took away all the gravel right as the snow began to thaw, and the only vehicles getting down our road are 4-wheel drive. I have a min van :sigh

11. ellie

ellie New Member

Lisbeth,

Is any of the grass in your hay fescue? I found this fyi...no idea if the info came from science or observation, but I thought it worth mentioning...

9. Goats need hay, browse, and small amounts of grain daily. Fresh grass can be used a source of roughage. Fescue grass can cause does to dry up and should not be planted in pastures.

Good luck,

Ellie