Fresh yearling sick.....Ideas??

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by ozark_jewels, Feb 19, 2008.

1. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

12 month old Lamancha. Freshened with twins two days ago. Is raising her buckling. Nothing was changed in her diet. Diet is free-choice alfalfa pellets and an evening ration of whole grains. Wormed last night with Cydectin per usual for fresh does. Ate normally last night, very healthy, good color. This morning has bumps in many places over her body, eyelids are swollen, puddly scours, very depressed, no appetite. Swear it looks like an allergic reaction. Still has milk for her kid and she talks to him and still likes him.
    Don't have anything for allergies. Gave her activated charcoal, b vitamins, vitamin c, live culture yogurt, penicillan. She had the spunk to make that a real ordeal! :?
    Any ideas?? I've never seen anything like this.
    I did bed their shed down with fresh hay lastnight......but its the same bale the does have been eating and its off the same field and same cutting that they've been eating all year long.

2. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

Oh yeah, forgot that they also have free-choice brome hay.....but its the same bale they have had access to for the past three weeks.
    This doeling has *never* been sick.

3. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

If she's still bumpy and swollen, I'd give her some Benedryl, adult dosage. could she have gotten stung by something? bit?

4. Chaty

Chaty New Member

Thats what I was going to say too Stacey...get some benedryl in her and see if it helps...the type for allergies..

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

And if a really good milker and not milked out, with only one kid nursing them, they can have severe reactions to being over-uddered. Keep her milked out, benedryl etc... Vicki

6. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

She is being milked out, thanks.

7. pettigrewfarms

pettigrewfarms New Member

8. could she be having an allergic reaction to the cydectin? You've had so much on your plate already, sure hope she has a quick recovery.
    susie, mo ozarks

9. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

Ok, she was noticably better an hour after I treated her as I posted in my first post. She was nibbling hay and pellets and sucked down some water. I didn't have Benedryl on hand so I just got back from running to town. I was greeted by the sight of her chewing her cud very happily. :D
    I've never bought or used Benadryl before so I hope I got the right stuff. Its for allergies and its for children. Its the only type they had. Its bubble gum flavoured. :lol
    The bumps are gone now and if she continues to improve I'm just going to repeat what I already did. But I'll have the benadryl for if I ever need it.
    Thanks to everyone! I still don't know what it was, but she *seems* to be on the solid road to recovery. I don't see how it could be an allergy to the Cydectin since she has been wormed with it since she was 3 months old?? And a bite or sting seems unlikely as well since its been quite coled here and no bugs are stirring.......thats why the allergy-type reactions had me so stumped.
    Thank you!

10. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

This recovery is amazing! She had me so scared this morning, looked AWFUL. Tonight she is eating and drinking like normal. Chewing her cud, her butt is clean of scours, and she trotted along behind me as I fed all the others. I think she is almost back to normal. I am so glad as the weather is supposed to go downhill from here and I hate having a sick depressed goat in bad weather. Its so much harder on them.

11. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

So Emily, all this happened in a 24 hour time frame ? I think that you gonna stump even the experts with this one.
    Glad she is better.

Whim

12. Rose

Rose New Member

Humans can develop allergies to things they have been around for years. I'd be ready with that benedryl next time you worm her.

13. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

Better yet, it happened within a 12 hour period. I checked on everyone at 3:00 am when I delivered a couple Nubian kids. She was fine then. Next morning she looked terrible, and by 3:00 pm, she was chewing cud and eating again.
    She is still doing great back to her piggy usual self.