Frequency on baby feeding?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by LynninTX, Mar 15, 2008.

1. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

OK I was checking out "Management From Birth to Kidding", because I tend to forget easy what I do when... :blush

First...
    That is 4 times a day....

Day 20 -

So confused... switch to 3 times a day at 20 days? stay at 4? Were at 5 now switching to 4??

We are feeding 3x a day... and I was trying to check how long we stay there vs go to 2.....

right now with our schedule it is 10AM, 4PM, 10PM.... kids are 9 weeks to just under 8 wks...

2. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

they are avg 83oz a day each....

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

If they are up to 20 oz a feeding they go to 3 times a day until I get tired of it or not enough milk to go around then they go to twice a day. Mind you I have always had Mini's or bucks except for last years Ariel babies and the doe is still on milk tiny thing she is.

4. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

All drink a min 20oz per feeding with more on some feedings....

we are cutting 2 males to 2x a day... 1 wethered and one possibly will be.... both are 8 wks and I am ready to get them weaned

but that leaves the girls and I have no intent to wean... but am considering... pondering... LOL going to 2x a day... but do NOT want to hurt growth!

Sounds like we should keep on keeping on...

5. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

A 20oz soda bottle will hold about 23-24 oz.. I'll feed a newborn all it'll eat every few hours for it's first full day. Then I'll go to 4x a day until it's drinking well and that's at least 20oz x 4 for about a week, then go to 3 times a day for another week. By then my schedule at work is full and I have to leave them at home, so they go to twice a day with a full bottle and that's 23 - 24 oz.
    Having a bunch of kids on the lambar is a bit different for me as I tend to put in more milk to compensate for the ones who drink quicker and the amount of milk that's left at the bottom.. I know people who go to twice a day a lot sooner than I do, folks that will offer cool/cold milk freechoice and all sorts of stuff.. I guess what I'm saying is we all do it differently. Figure out what you can do VS what you'd like to do, and do what you can.. :biggrin

6. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

with me down this ended up as our second yr on bottles vs lambar and it is a PAIN.

7. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

How many are you feeding? and I missed the part on how old they were, they're two months old? I think you could go to two feedings easy without sacrificing their gain. And those bucklings-soon-to-be-wethers, could probably go to one about a week after that! :biggrin

8. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

that is my plan on those boys...

11 total as of today, but only 8 in the above count... I also have 2 6wk MM I am not cutting back on yet plus the new doeling....

Then starting 4/4 I have 8 more to kid....

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

hope you get them on the lambar by at least the next 8's kids

10. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

Lynn we delayed going to the lambar for a few years...it seemed like it woudl be complicated or more work to get them switched and it was NOT, it was super stupid simple. Same nipples, etc. Now we have them basically on the lambar within 2-3 days.

11. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

LeeAnne it is easy...we already did do it... 2 yrs I think... at least 2006... but last yr and this we could NOT get them on it... starting too late and the lambar is too big... dh needs to make a littler one to start...