Freezing Milk Now to Make Cheese Later

Discussion in 'Cheese & Dairy' started by Carolyn, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Carolyn

Carolyn New Member

Well I am just waiting for DD's to get enough milk frozen (for soap)so I can make cheese!!! If we freeze milk from early lactation, will it keep for cheese later on in the year? Carolyn

2. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

Early lactation milk only makes a difference in Mozzarella. I make cheese with frozen milk without any problems.

Christy

3. Belle

Belle New Member

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I am curious as to why early lactation milk makes a difference?

4. Rose

Rose New Member

I have not successfully done this. When I freeze the milk, and thaw it, it separates. Then, it won't act right for cheese.

Tell me what I'm doing wrong! :help

5. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

Do you have auto defrost in your freezer? Milk needs to be chilled and put in a deep freeze without an auto defrost. The temp has to stay steady and not a freezer that you get in and out of all the time. Old chest freezers are the ones that work for me.

Christy

6. Rose

Rose New Member

They are chest freezers. :help

7. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Rose I sell frozen milk and nobody would buy it if it seperated or was clumpy. You really have to milk, strain and pour the milk into containers and immedatly freeze. You can't let the butterfat rise at all especially in Nubians or you get very poor looking, although it tastes fine, milk.

All winter I soap and use a freezer full of frozen milk for cheese.

Doe you have to defrost your freezer each year? If you don't than you have a defrost timer on your freezer. You can have these turned off. Your freezer will then become a old chest freezer type. This stops the constant thawing and freezing of the outside of your container, which hurts all the quality products you keep in the freezer. Esepcially milk and meat. Freezer burn is from this and air in the airspace around meat. Vicki

8. Rose

Rose New Member

They are absolutely not frost free. LOL. Defrosting is SUCH a project. :help2

I think the problem was not freezing it immediately after straining. Didn't know to do that. Will experiment!

THANK YOU!