free choice feed questions

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by mamatomany, Sep 12, 2008.

1. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

I need some clarification....my 3 goats stay in the barn after their evening milking until morning. They are then let out to pasture for the day....there is fresh water. I have been providing fc alfalfa and having mineral and baking soda out there under an area where they can get out of the elements also fc timothy hay. I am having issues with red ants getting into their foods. My husband suggests taking only small amounts a few times a day and refilling them... :crazy then I was re-reading management in 101 and I interpret Vicki's guidance as she only gives fc when they are in the barn. I would love to have that clarified. And if I still am to offer fc outside any suggestions on how to keep those darn ants out :/ When they are in the barn they have fc of all the above too. Thanks...

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

don't feed the alfalfa pellets on the ground or in pans on the ground. Vicki feeds her alfalfa pellets inside but the goats go in an out of the barn area.
    you can make pvc feeders to hang from the fence or even wooden feeders to hang that way the ants don't get in them

3. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

They are hanging up off the ground. How do you do it Sondra. Do they make the pvc feeders with the sole purpose of feed like with an end attachment so the feed doesn't just pour out?

4. stoneyheightsfarm

stoneyheightsfarm New Member

Go to 101 and the second non-bold post is pvc feeders. The second comment has a link to a site w/photos.

As far as a pellet/grain feeder, I've also seen these hung by chains so that the goats don't try to stand in them.

We had no problem with ants until we tried feeding our cat in the barn. As soon as we took the cat food out, no more ants. Go figure!

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I have the barrels that hang over the gates /fence that hold hay and grain then I also have pellet feeders in the shelters up on the walls.

6. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

I'll be honest with you....I'm headed out to the barn this morning with some bug spray. Ants are coming in from everywhere, and they even got in my light switch yesterday and shorted it out. I hate using bug sprays around my areas, but this has got to stop. My goats even seem to be aggrivated by all these bugs, and I don't blame them.

Whim

7. shawhee

shawhee Member

I had some ants in my loafing shed (discovered when I was stripping it clean), I had noticed the goats stomping and being irritated as well. I put down some DE (diatomacious earth) and I no longer have ants in the shed. Not sure if it is supposed to work on them, I know it works on other bugs, but it seemed to and I knew it was safe for my girls.

Shawna

8. MysticHollowGoats

MysticHollowGoats New Member

DE kills all insects, I sprinkle it down lightly when we clean out bedding in the barn.

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yes DE is wonderful and I put it in my grain also it won't hurt the goats to eat it it helps with flys and you can put it right on the fire ant mounds to kill them also