Free Choice Baking Soda??

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by mill-valley, Jul 2, 2008.

1. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

I know several breeders including on here that offer free choice baking soda like minerals...what is the purpose of this? I assume to counteract acidosis...but do the goats really eat much of it? Also where is a good place to get it in bulk?

2. pokyone42

pokyone42 New Member

we buy it at our feed store for about 10.00-12.00 for a fifty pound bag of feed grade....... just ask for feed grade sodium bicarbonate..........

3. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

Sometimes the goats eat a little, and other times they eat a lot. Sure keeps their milk consistently sweet!

We tried buying a 50 lb bag through our feed store, but it was $25.00. I can buy 12.5 # waterproof bags from Costco for $4.99. So the same price, but smaller/easier size packages and if the bottom gets wet, no biggie. Sure wish we could get Sally's price!

Camille

4. Odeon

Odeon New Member

Ok, I'll admit it.. I feed regular old Arm and Hammer in the box. I use solid-bottom rabbit feeders for my minerals, a different feeder for each mineral. I just dump a box in and refil it when it is empty.

Sometimes 1 box will last a month or more.. sometimes a week. just depends on the goats.

Ken

5. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

Before I started using it free choice, I had occasional bloat problems and less milk. I find that just after kidding and for a month or so after my girls really go through the BS. I nw keep it in a PVC Mineral feeder all the time. The boys also get it and seem to go through it also.

Paula

6. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

I'm one that's gone back to keeping BS out free choice 24/7/365. I had to test to see if they were skipping my minerals, and eating the BS to satisfy their cravings. I've found that my goats eat about the same amount of my loose minerals either way.
    The new browse this spring give my goats a little upset rumen a couple times until I put the BS back out there......and then it (light bloat) stopped in 3 days time. Also fresh hay is coming in, and I'm starting to give my goats a little bit along. I noticed that the BS is getting hit a little harder again....so maybe even this greener hay needs a little BS to go with it too.

F.W.I.W. I'll keep BS out there all the time from now on . I think there are just too many positives that comes with keeping it out there to ignor.

Whim

7. donna

donna Member

I agree with Whim. My herd is let out to browse the acreage in the morning as they please. Since I started letting them out of the pasture, I have noticed they are eating a lot more BS.

8. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I always keep soda available for my goats. They know instinctively when they need it to keep the PH in their rumen correct. Kathie

9. coso

coso Guest

I leave it out 24/7 also. Feed it in a PVC tube like feeder like you make to feed deer with. I buy it in 50lb bag at the feed store. The four milkers of mine probably eat a coffee can full ever 3 weeks or so.

10. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

I priced it out at the feed store today...looks like I can get 50# for $13.50. Sounds like it should last me a while.

11. hamilton40

hamilton40 New Member

We live in the desert and my goats never get anything green. Just dry brush and alfalfa with grain for the milkers. Should they have BS? I have never gave it to them and I have never had any problems.
    Thanks
    Clay

12. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

It can't hurt anything as far as I know, and they won't overeat on it. It helps with acidosis...which they can get from grain or alfalfa too.