founder/laminitis

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Halo-M Nubians, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Halo-M Nubians

Halo-M Nubians New Member

I have a doe who I believe has chronic laminitis. She is mostly affected in one front hoof and limps badly after trimming for a long time. I tend to put off trimming because of this and I know that isn't the best. I was reading if Goat Medicine about asprin therapy and was wondering if it was safe and/or effective. She tolerates it pretty well, no knee walking or anything, but its worse now because she is just huge pregnant...due on Friday...she went 5 days early last year so I'm hoping she'll go soon to ease some of the weight. I would like to make her more comfortable if I can. She is a special old gal.. I took the pics today.

[​IMG]

2. Karen Bailey

Karen Bailey New Member

Oh my! She's sure about to pop soon. If I remember correctly, and it's been a long time, I wasn't allowed aspirin while pregnant. I don't know about giving it to a pregnant goat, but on the side of caution, I wouldn't do any medication. The poor thing, maybe she'll go real soon and her feet will feel better.

3. LMonty

LMonty New Member

aspirin increases the chances of bleeding, it interferes with the stickiness of platelets.

4. Halo-M Nubians

Halo-M Nubians New Member

Yes, at this point she is going to have to tough it out. She's making some encouraging sign of being close to kidding
    But, I'd like to be able to add something to her milking ration...espesially around foot trimming time.

5. Pairaka

Pairaka New Member

Funny. From the rear, she looks almost EXACTLY like my doe Annabelle. Both last year right before kidding and this year (she's due on March 18). She limped badly on a front hoof for a couple of weeks before kidding last year and even though I knew I wasn't supposed to do it, I worked on her hooves because they were overgrown. (I still hadn't gotten used to how fast they can grow.) It seemed to help her be more comfortable, and decreased the limp and after she kidded it went away completely.

In fact, she's the only goat I have that actually tells me when her feet need to be trimmed. If they get too long for her liking (esp the back ones) she'll start getting balky about getting on the milk stand. Usually, she jumps up there without anything more than a "Hup, Annabelle!" When she starts standing at the end and I have to tug at her collar and "realign" her a couple times, I know it's time to trim her feet. :lol

Er, I know this really doesn't have much to do with your problem, but I just wanted to comment... :eek :)

-- Wendy

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

keeping those feet trimed every week if it is indeed founder helps alot also I used biotin for horses. and warm soaking of hooves before trimming. As for pain I dont' think you could give enough asprin to help before hurting her.