For those wanting the "OLD STYLE" Nubians :)

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by NubianSoaps.com, Nov 29, 2007.

1. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

http://www.elmhaven.com/NubiansOldPhotos.html

Visit here, and perhaps someone can post the photos :)

Ever wonder what the BEST OF BREED winner looked like -- at the "Second National Goat Show" ???

Her name was: BAKRI JANICE *M

Her picture and milk record information is posted above....

Thanks to Elmhaven Nubians........

We have come a long way BABY!!!!! Vicki

2. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

:lol ... Oh, MAN, are those oldies!! Uummm...even the ears are better now. ;)
    Kaye

3. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

Vicki, The first spotted buck has NO roman nose :O

Bakri has a pitiful low udder and her rump is too high but the last one ,the spotted one has a horrid weak saggy top line .

I noticed that the spotted black&white buck I bred my does to has NO roman nose either :O , but my LM have a straight nose so thats ok but I am wondering why the spotted bucks dont ?

4. Ashley

Ashley New Member

Wow, if I could go back in time, I could clean up with just my little Penny I do believe! haha

5. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

Yeah, I saw this on Nubian Talk and just had to respond. For those who missed it, this is the gist of what I said.

This doe is proof of how the Nubian breed has progressed. Even in the late 60’s and early 70’s photos of Nubians were shown in the DGJ with their front feet on a block to make them appear uphill. There were many pendulous udders and steep rumps. Some of my does back then had two tubes for an udder! Using the breed standard as a tool, breeders have made great strides in improving the breed. Some of the Champions of yesterday would be dismissed from the ring today. How thankful we should be for the many Nubian enthusiasts, those dedicated men and women who put so much work, sweat and tears into the breed.

However, even today you will hear those cry to go back to the “old style” Nubian. Go back? Not me! No! Never!

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Bill sure does dig up some cool stuff! He also posted that this does ancestors make up a huge number of our National Champions today even into the 80's. Pretty cool. Vicki

7. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

Yeah, he does dig up some cool stuff and it is kind of neat taking a look at the past.

However, I want to keep a doe like this "way back behind" in my herd's pedigree - certainly not something that is on the first line of my pedigrees.
    Can you imagine bringing a doe like this forward in the pedigree?

8. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

Actually Jacob goat looks like a spotted meat goat , I do like the big doe Silver Ear's tho and Helen is nice too ,But most of them look like short goats. I do enjoy looking back at past goats
    I wonder when the Nubies got their roman nose ?? and at least they are hornless :)

9. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

This doe is 3 times in the pedigree of Proctor's Carlos of Evania and is his great grand dam. Carlos was the beginnings of the Cadillac herd. He was the sire of Cadillac Geronimo and Carlos Vance. Both of these bucks were important in Cadillac breeding program. Carlos Vance was the sire of ASU Bertha - the dam of Hodge Podge Bertha's Sugar and Bertha's Henry and many of the ASU Desert herd. Geronimo was the Great Grandsire of POTF Duncan who sired the National Champion POTF Mercy. Also Cadillac Carlos Vance was the sire of Princess Dotty the dam of Macenita Ranch Fudge Sundae, another national champion.