For those doing Linear Appraisal in 2014

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Ziggy, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy Buck

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  2. fmg

fmg New Member

WOW! It doesn't seem like the schedule was up until after we signed up last time, but perhaps I'm just confused. :)

3. cvalley

cvalley New Member

:eek:Thanks for the update!

4. Ziggy

Ziggy Buck

Yes Nancy you are correct I think. I am pretty sure that last year I sent my appraisal application in before finding out that it was going to be in September. The late June date for my area this year is ideal for me - before Nationals and after all (including first fresheners) will have freshened. Perhaps a little too soon for the first freseheners to get the best scores but that is fine with me.

5. Cannon_farms

Cannon_farms New Member

I will be signing up as a host, as well as Tickles Me Pink Lamanchas on the other side of the state. I am near Athens, both of us require that herds be tested and healthy

6. fmg

fmg New Member

Mid- to Late- September here! Yikes, that's awfully late! I liked the early in the year appraisal in June this year. :)

7. Ziggy

Ziggy Buck

We were mid September this year and I thought it was going to hurt us but actually score were pretty good.

8. lorit

lorit Senior Member

Actually Lisa gets the tentative schedule up usually the first week of December - then a more firm schedule after the first round of applications come in with appraisers being assigned later. :) Last year it was about the 10th or 11th of December so she is a bit earlier this year.

I WISH we could get a September appraisal. It would give more time to let the doelings grow and still be freshened for appraising. And here in the western side of Oregon, it is still cool and WET into June so shaving everyone down is not optimum. And our fall weather is gorgeous, warm days, decent nights, no rain, etc.

But I am sure it is impossible for her to please everyone. :)

9. fmg

fmg New Member

The schedule varies year to year for every location probably just for the reason that some prefer one way or another. I liked the early one because I had some does to sell, but wanted to have them appraised first. :) But this will be fine, too. :)

10. ElLomah

ElLomah New Member

Hmm, I'm in NE - been thinking about starting into LA for a while . . . Any host herds in the west part of regions 8 or 9?