Dairy Goat Info Forums banner

for Kaye or... why water based Pen?

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  NubianSoaps.com 
#1 ·
"Make sure your Penn-G is water based...Aqua Penn,"

Why?

#8 ·
And honestly I use little to no antibiotic in the lifetime of the doe. And when I do I am not picking anything with the milk or meat withdrawal even remotely as a consideration. In mastitis it is to give me a 100% showable udder after it's cured....complete recovery with no scar tissue after pnemonia and back to 100% with diseases. Because if the udder or she isn't 100% I won't be worrying about milk withdrawal when she is culled. Missing 30 days or the rest of a lactation from choosing a drug that works over the lifetime of 10 or 11 lactations is nothing. Vicki

#9 ·
Yes I agree on mastitis even if the goat had to be pulled of the milk line for the year so be it to save a udder or the goat.
I was just remarking on that both med have Benzathine in it and the long withdrawal time.
I do use Twin Pen Aqueous with Pen G Benzathine on my meat goats that are wild and hard for me to give meds to. :sigh
I thought that with the Dairy goats that the Procaine Pen G was what to use for prevention of wound infection or uterine infection so you do not have a long withdrawal time. :?

Please correct me if I am wrong I well always be a student and always ready to learn. :D

Fran

#10 ·
There is lots of research on the metabalism of goats being so much faster than even sheep...not to mention cows...that most of the meds. we give/use are given at least every 24hrs. instead of 48hrs. like the lables read for cows. There's just no such thing as every other day in goats. Most of the meds we use are on a 5 day treatment bases at least once a day. There's no such thing in dairy goats, as a 1 shot cure.
Kaye

#11 ·
I am sorry I have not been clear. :blush2
I do not think a goat should be treated like small cows or a Sheep.(My first post was just thinking off contains of long acting compared to Pen G and withdrawal time not on how to give the meds)
I do give my meat goat antibiotics once a day for five to seven days with the Twin Pen.( I can get my hand on them but it is a lot of work)
With Procaine Pen G I was giving a loading dose and then twice a day half dose ever 12 hours making a whole dose in 24 hours to keep the blood levels up per the info I got off Saanendoah.com before the meds page closed.
I was glad to see that it is in the Goats keeping 101.
I just got back in to dairy goats this last year.
I have been raising Boer goats for the last ten years.
Trying to see what is the best way to take care of the dairy Girls.
I wish I had found this forum last year when I had a dairy goat with mastitis :down
My vet told me that I should not culture the milk because it was going to be a waste of my money because he would not be able to prescribe the meds that would come back from the culture.
I spent more money on meds then if I had done a culture.
And then I would have know what would have worked. :crazy
Fran

#12 ·
The point I think is....what really is the milk or meat withdrawal for your way of using this med? Or my way of using this med? There isn't. Even if you choose another form of the drug just for your dairy goats based on milk withdrawal is it for the 3cc per 50 pounds twice a day subq that I use it at? Nope. So choosing a drug like a water based pen, or a non sting carrier in tetracycline or ditching the OTC in valuable animals and getting a vet script...for me the withdrawals are a moot point. After she is 100% then I deal with how long she will be off the milkstring. Vicki

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.