??? For Barb and Christy and any othe GM liquid soaper

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by kidsngarden, Jan 8, 2008.

1. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

People are really loving my GM LS and I sell quite a bit. But I am having a problem with seperation. I do the two weeks sequester and this two inch (in a gallon jar) layer of light stuff stays at the top. I skim it off and use the dark stuff. (but the goo on top is lovely - I fear it is unsaponified fat - but it bubbles and is nice - we use it at home!) I have only had ONE batch that was totally perfect and did not do this. I think it was the cook time? the longer I cook the more fat is saponified? This last batch I thought sure I would have no seperation and now it is looking like it might.

My recipe has been run through the calculator at summer bee meadow at 0% superfat more times than I can count. I use enough water to dilute the KOH then add the rest in milk. My cook method has been on the low settting of the crockpot for about 24 hours, stirring every now and again to prevent burning. (sometimes it still does a little on the sides - but hasn't affected my product at all) I dilute with hot water 10 oz water to 1 pound of paste with .2 oz of borax dissolved in the water.

Can anyone troubleshoot this for me? I can imagine that have the fat IN my soap instead of rising to the top would be a a good thing!

Thanks,
    Bethany

2. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

I'm going to say cook time. I do what Barbara does and cook for three days at 150*-200*. Sometimes I even go longer if I don't have enough time to deal with it. Before I started doing the three day cook I got the goo too and I love that stuff!!! I plan to put JoJoba beads and EO or FO and sell it as a limited addition scrub :lol

Christy

3. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

you use a roasting pan right? See, I think my Crockpot is too hot for three days. I don't have a roaster oven yet - guess it's time to get one! ( I want one to try rendering my own lard on the covered deck outside so it doesn't stink up my whole house!) Man, I love the goo too! Wish I could replicate the stuff!

Bethany

4. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

Yes, I use a roaster oven :biggrin

5. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

Yes it is the cook time, when I first started making LS, I had the same problem, as it is unsapronified fats in the soap, the longer you cook the gentler the soap and less fats left.. I cook mine on the wood stove in a double boiler. We have a jacketed wood stove that does not get too hot on the outside.. So I can cook for 5 days if I want to, just put in double boiler and walk away, stirring only once per day...
    Also if you read CF's book on liquid soaps, she uses much more lye than a soap calculator because of this reason and then she superfats later or uses boric acid to bring PH level down... Take one of her recipes and put through calculator and you will see she recommends more lye so there are no unsapronified fats left in the soap.. Touch of alcohol will help too, but I don't want to use this in my soaps, helps burn it off..So I use the long cook time on very low heats.. You can cook in oven too, in covered pan in double boiler ...