Foot care ???

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by whimmididdle, Jun 3, 2008.

1. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

I need some advice here.
    I have an older doe (7 1/2 years) that is getting long in the toe (front). I try to keep her squared up, but tend to have to get into blood (on the toe) way before I get her feet in the shape that I want them in. That long in the toe does not seem to effect her walking or anything, but I would like to keep her feet "under" her for as long as I can. I hate to go see folks goats walking on their heels, and plan not to ever see that at my place either. Have you got any advice for Whim when dealing with these older goats feet ?

Thanks in advance

Whim

2. Belle

Belle New Member

Have you tried trimming her feet more often than the rest? I have an older girl thats feet were let go before I got her and I'm still trying to get some of that toe off. The easiest thing I have found for trying to work with her is using a dremel every couple of weeks.

3. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

4. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

A dremmel is a hand tool used to file/drill things.. I use one to do my dogs nails. :)

5. Jo@LaudoDeumFarm

[email protected] New Member

Can you tell us how you use the dremmel? What kind of attachments ect that you use?

6. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Hmmmm? Well, her feet don't grow any faster than any of the rest, and maybe even grow some slower these days. I think the biggest problem is that she is just getting less active with age, and is not naturally wearing the toe down anymore.
    I'm trying to keep her feet as correct as possible, because I plan on raising at least two more sets of kids off her.....and I don't want those legs to start breaking down on me in the future when loaded up heavy.

I really don't want to make those feet tender every time I trim her......but I don't want to see flip flops in 2 or 3 years more either.

Got any other ideas ?

Whim

7. Jennie

Jennie New Member

Will be interested in see what people have to say on this. I have a 5 yr old doe that has this problem on one toe on each of her front feet. I wondered if she had foundered before I got her. The only thing that I have been doing is taking very little off about once a week on those two toes. I have even thought of using a horse rasp just so I don't take to much off and make her sore. I could just file down to the pink. I know that Kaye has been using a disc sander and is liking that. The dremmel just takes to long.

8. I used the dremmel this weekend on Ava's hooves and found I really liked it better (after I got over the fear of grinding her hoof off). She has a blown out hoof wall so I was able to get rid of the pocket.

Whim, I have had to check Ava's hooves on a daily basis because of this blow out. I find that hers don't wear down because as you said she's less active than the younger goats. Another thing I noticed was that after I changed the minerals to a higher copper percentage all of the goats hooves are growing faster and thicker. And I wish you well with her hooves ;) Tammy

9. Belle

Belle New Member

Well, for what I use on her is just a cordless dremel with the 1/2" sanding drum and 60 grit sanding bands. The disc sander that everyone else uses is much better for regular hoof trims. Jennie is right, the dremel is SLOW but for my old girl thats why I like it because I can just take of a little bit at a time and since it is slow I don't worry as much about grinding too close.
    I apologize Whim, I'm the worst when it comes to trying to explain myself. :blush
    I didn't mean that her feet were growing faster, if she's anything like mine she just doesn't wear much of anything off of them anymore. What I was trying to say is trim them more often since she doesn't naturally wear them off like she once did.
    I hope you get a more experienced answer than mine, this is just whats worked for me.

10. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Don't forget also that as does age they should have more foot. Low heels is something that is genetic also, no matter if you never trim them they never build up and only squish to the middle which have to be cleaned up, but never any length to the heel to be trimmed. I know at an appraisal session I was at, John White asked a guy visiting to critique my doe...he overlooked the obvious fault of nearly winged shoulders and said she needed her feet trimmed :) John White said that her feet were trimmed perfectly for the does age, when you are 240 you can't have little manicured short hooves like a 2 year old. So more toe is acceptable in a large or elder doe.

You can only work with what you have, if you are getting to the quick that fast, than she simply just has poor feet, and you have to leave her be. Monthly hoof trimming is enough even in our moist spongy soil.

Try adding biotin to her diet. Perhaps with her early life with not enough copper (I would bet your management has changed significantly meeting us :) you are seeing the residue of soft soles and heels from this which likely won't change now or you could bolus her.

Now if she has been fine before and getting bad now as an aged doe, than maybe it's her teeth, is she eating well, not dropping food etc?

Vicki

11. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Well...it appears that I just have a normal doe :biggrin

She still has good feet, eats good, and ain't in to bad condition for 7 1/2.
    I just happen to notice with the passing of time,, that the toe is getting longer, and that I seem to find the tender before I used to.
    This is my oldest goat, and the oldest one that I've ever owned.......so I just have a desire to try to keep this ole gals foundation under her as long as I can.

Thanks for all the input.

Whim

12. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

Hi Whim,
    Have you tried taking the toe back from the top, as in rasping down the toe at the angle she should be? Make sure you bring her heels down as far as possible, and then put her foot up on your knee if possible, looking down the hoof, and then rasp down to about back where it should be. I do this on horses as well as my older goats, and I can get a toe back without the tenderness I would get trimming from the bottom. Maybe you are already doing this, but thought I'd mention it.
    Good Luck.
    Anita

Oh, yeah, when dealing with a pathology, more frequent trimming is key...at least until foot is normalized as much as it can be. Every 4 weeks works fine most of the time, but on a doe that tends to get unbalanced feet fast, trimming every week or two for a while can really help.

13. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

""""and then put her foot up on your knee if possible,""""" A.

:rofl I know that you are serious, but I'm doing good if I can get these short legged devils foot on top of my foot. .....but I know what you're talkin about, as I used to mess with a few old horses myself. I usually do that move as a last move right before letting them go....but mostly to just take a little raggedness, or sharpness off the edge. I haven't tried to do it when trying to remove much more than that, but may play with it a bit next time she is due to trim.

Thanks, Whim

14. Nancy

Nancy New Member

What about a doe that has foundered? Do there feet grow faster or just weird? We,ve got one that foundered and it is tough to trim her feet. Is there any thing extra we can do.

15. leslieh

leslieh New Member

Hi, Nancy,
    I've worked with one that has foundered. They need frequent trims. I can not let her go for one month, or I've lost all the good I've done. What seems to work best for me is to trim every 2 weeks and to keep the hoof as short as possible and at the correct shape. Her feet seem to want to grow at odd angles and I have to be really careful to keep them trimmed right.

Good luck.

Leslie

16. hamilton40

hamilton40 New Member

Hi everyone,
    Something I do to cut way back on trimming is to build a few platforms for them to play on and I tar down rolled roofing on top of them it naturally keeps their feet trimmed and cuts way back on the trimming I have to do.
    Clay