Food coloring

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by a4patch, Aug 4, 2014.

1. a4patch

a4patch New Member

While at a family reunion, we had the chance to visit two farmers markets. One was in Salem and the other Roanoke, both in Virginia. We came across a soap seller that had booths at both markets. She had a mixture of GM and non GM soap and colored it all with food coloring. I asked her what kind and she said the kind you buy at the grocery and put in cup cakes! The colors were beautiful and I never thought of using food coloring.

What do you think about this?

2. hsmomof4

hsmomof4 New Member

Most of my customers would prefer more natural colorants. I have had a lot of people specifically ask what the color was from, because they were concerned about dyes. Did she make CP soap? (wondering how well food coloring holds up to that...)

3. SolsticeSun

SolsticeSun Member

I think that food coloring could bleed or morph in soap. It's not intended for soap and I've heard that it's not approved for cosmetic use.

4. a4patch

a4patch New Member

Yes CP soap.

Stacey,
    Thanks for the link. Melody, I would have a difficult time understanding why it is not approved for cosmetic use but indigestible as a food. I would be interested in the source that says it is not approved for cosmetic use.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  5. a4patch

a4patch New Member

Stacey, the link you suggestion explains the issue perfectly. Thanks for suggesting it. The link also provided other supporting links. Very useful, thank you again.

6. hsmomof4

hsmomof4 New Member

I read your first response before I saw that there was a second one and was going to say, "Go read the link!" ;)

7. SolsticeSun

SolsticeSun Member

The above link has links within it explaining and discussing if you can use them. it wasn't an attack on you, just trying to be helpful

8. hsmomof4

hsmomof4 New Member

Melody, I don't know if your response was to me or to Peggy. I was talking to Peggy about going to read the link (because she thanked me for it and then asked a question that was answered at the link.) :)