Foamy, bloody, mucusy scours?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by mountainaire, Oct 1, 2008.

1. mountainaire

mountainaire New Member

Doe (2 years) with scours with foamy, bloody, mucusy diarrhea. Still eating, drinking, getting around, not down.

Gave her kefir.

Wormed her with Safeguard.

Planning to purchase Ivomec Plus this weekend and do the 3x, 3 weeks apart on the whole herd, because I do suspect worm overload.

Several does very thin (mostly the lactating does), a few with hard, very round lump at joint of jaw, which never pops, but shrinks over time.

Hoping not Johne's but haven't tested yet. Planning to test herd for various diseases soon.

Anything stand out as "gotta be it?" or "what to do?"

Thanks....

MountainAire

2. mountainaire

mountainaire New Member

Me again.... Forgot to mention that about a month ago I moved the goats to strictly pasture feeding for the first time in their lives. It is primarily grass, but at this time of year almost all of it is brown; however, there is some green grass still here and there under the trees.

I know a possibility is the change in diet, but after 4 weeks?

They are eating willows, bark, pine needles (some, not a lot), current bushes, but mostly a native wild grass.

Mountainaire

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I would have a fecal ran. Also look carefully at their eyelids, go to goatkeeping 101 and match of the eye color to the Famacha chart. If low, and along with the sloughing of the intestine/blood than you likely have blood sucking worms that have now brought on cocci.

If you aren't going to do a fecal and only go by the anemia chart...than put the whole herd of cocci treatments with corid or a sulfa...and worm with Cydectin. I would not use Ivermectin, especially the plus because this is not liverflukes, and Ivermectin has soo much resistance. The Safeguard was not worming her, it will work for tapes and little else.

What are the goals with your goats? Can you reach the goals having them eating off pastures in that poor of condition with nothing else? Goats who are nutritionally stressed, with no minerals out to give them enough copper, enough selenium etc...will then carry huge worm and cocci burdens along with other parasties and catch every disease around because they simply have no reserves to draw from. Vicki

4. mountainaire

mountainaire New Member

Okay, so is Cydectin injectable? Available at most ranch stores?

And is Corid injectable or oral?

I have someone picking these up for me this weekend so I won't be there to make the decisions on the spot, need as much information for the friend as possible.

I checked her eyes and they are very pink in the "whites" area, and the gums are also. But she is a younger goat, some of the older ones are anemic, I think.

Thanks, Vicki

Also:
    They are mostly my own herd for my own milk and meat use for family and friends, so I don't need to push for commercial purposes. I know they need alfalfa supplementation and we are getting hay in this week, so that will be taken care of. This is actually a river valley delta with some of the best soil and nutritious hay anywhere. We may have issues in the spring with grass that is too rich and have to watch that later. But for now, in the dry fall, and with the sudden change to pasture and with no supplementation initially it has been hard on them. We will be working on correcting this now.

5. mountainaire

mountainaire New Member

Also, Vicki

Where do I get the vials for sending in blood? From the lab? or purchased elsewhere myself? I know I can buy the needles and syringes myself, but instructions say to then inject the blood into the specially prepared vial.

I am going to draw blood and send off to the labs for the basic diseases, just to get a good baseline on the herd.

MountainAire

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

your vet will have the vials or send off for them.
    cydectine is pour on cattle but you give it orally 1cc per 22lb
    corid is liquid oral also all doses are in Goat 101

7. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

You should just order it, jefferspet.com doubtful you could find it locally.

Cydectin cattle pouron used at 1cc per 22 pounds orally.

Corrid liquid, the dosages are in goatkeeping 101, it is a liquid and now comes in a pint bottle if you just have a few goats. Vicki

8. mountainaire

mountainaire New Member

Thanks everyone....

Mountainaire