Fly Controll ?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Bella Star, May 13, 2008.

1. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

What works for flies ? :/

I have a terrible problem with flies this year as the goats and dogs are just covered with them :help2

2. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

There is some stuff made by Bayer called Flybate ....or something like that. It's pricey, but it works if it's the kind of flies that eat food, poop and stuff. I sure would be careful where I put this stuff out.....It's spooky to watch them flies land on it, take a bite, and then go flippin over dead. Well..........actually it's kinda fun to watch 'em ...I know...that's just sick ain't it. You kinda gotta be there to see what I'm talking about. :twisted
    For them biting flies.....I used a little horse spray last year (made for horses), and it seemed to work good for a few days at a time.

:needcoffee
    Whim

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

QuikByte I think is how it is spelled Wonderful stuff

4. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

quickbayt

but there are others, you are looking for the active ingredient imidacloprid.

5. Truly

Truly New Member

has anyone tried the Fly Predators? The reviews elsewhere are good.

6. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Yep, I use parasitic fly wasps. They work well here, though with the cows now, I'm going to have to increase my order. I used to have so many flies (and a whole lot less goats!) that I had those sticky things hanging all over the barn, about 25 at a time and have to change them out once a month.. now that was disgusting! I still have flies, but wow the improvement here is truly noticeable.

7. Narrow Chance

Narrow Chance New Member

I can't leave bait out.... tried that.. did NOT work. It works to kill flies.. but most of my barn is open.. and dogs, cats, squirrels, birds.. etc get to it easy.
    A friend of mine who has goats had a white sticky strip in his barn.. caught the tar out of flies.. so I got me one. Jeffers has it, FlyMaster. That thing will catch the flies.. and it's safe for everything but the birds. If a bird lands on it.. it's caught. Ask me how I know.

8. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

It might be possible to put wire or a have-a-hart trap around the bait so cats, dogs, goats, etc. could not get to it. I used Skin so soft by avon a few days ago in my goat sheds...just sprayed the ceiling and walls where they were all hanging out....there were a ton of them..but not anymore. They flew the coop. I doubt it will last long and I'm sure it's not the cheapest control out there, but it worked well at the moment. It works well out riding on the trail too when knats and biting flies drive the horses crazy. I'll have to try the flybait. I also use chickens..
    Anita

9. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

My barn is also open, nothing, not cats, kittens, dogs, grandkids get near the Quick Bayt. It works, I maybe have 3 flies, millions dead on the sack though. Now after a rain the flies are back, like today, but by tommorrow they will be fine. Everyone who comes to my barn who has stock of their own always comments on how few flies I have in the barn. I use 2 or 3 of the $10 1 pound shaker cans in a year, that is cheap. I just bought my second one yesterday...$9.95. I prefer the little shakers rather than the 5 pound can because I don't have to touch anything with the 1 pound little shakers, and it's better for my asthma. I used to have sprays, biats and stinky traps, lots more than $30 worth of chemicals a year, and all of it together still didn't work like this stuff does! A friend of mine who has a fly spray system in his barn, still used this stuff because it worked better. The parasitic wasps are killed by our fire ants, so never have used them.

I sprinkle a tiny little layer of the Quick Bait/Bayt on a feed sack on the floor of my side of the barn every day after chores. Then roll up the bag and throw it away each Saturday or when it is too disgusting to look at. It's a miricle and I thank Tim Pruitt daily for telling me about it! :) Vicki

10. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks Guest

Yep- they work well for me. I also live in an area where I have the only livestock in the neighborhood, so I need to be sure we don't become a nuisance.

11. Karen Bailey

Karen Bailey New Member

Where do you buy Quick Bayt?

12. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

My feed store had it.

Whim

13. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

I saw it at Tractor Supply the other day. Chickens also help.

14. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

our chickens are lazy--they prefer to eat the flies that are dead from the quickbayt! :lol thankfully it (so far) hasnt seemed to cause them much harm. I guess that the amt of quickbayt actually IN the fly is very small...

15. Sondra

Sondra New Member

now my cats or dogs don't even bother the quikbayt so have never had a problem with it at all also my barn is open too. I use it just like Vicki

16. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

HMmmm these fly's are the one's that are on the back of my goat's riding around on their fur like they do cow's back's. I have never had this problem before as my barn is open also. I do have cow's in next pasture.

Will quikbayt still work or do I need something for fur ??

17. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

It seemed to attract and kill most all my flies and some nats here. The ones that don't seem to come to this stuff are the blood suckers.....like the big horse flies, and the bluetail flies.
    Funny what LA said about the chickens eating the flies........I have several of those striped back lizzards that hang around eating those flies that are still kicking (death kicks), and have seen them eat belly's full of those flies a day. It don't seem to bother them at all. I was very concered when I first seen this happen, but had one old lizzard (that I could identify by his marking) that eat them dieing flies all last summer, and it never seemed to bother him.
    Usually, cold blooded animals are very sensitive to any kind of toxin......and I have plenty of those lizzards back again this summer. There must not be much danger in anything eating those dead flies.......will let yaw know if I start seeing any 3 headed lizzards running around in the future.

Whim

18. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Well for on the backs and to help keep of mukie toes I mix up witch hazle/eucalytus /lemon grass/orange oils and skin so soft and vinegar with water and spray them and brush makes their coat nice and shinny too.

19. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

I find that fly bayt works best when applied in small amounts daily or every other day. It seems to lose it potency when you put a lot out at a time - enough to last for a week. It is an excellent product but be aware that new born kids will eat it. The older goats don't seem to bother with it at all.

20. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

Re: Fly Control ?

Sondra, You mix all that stuff together for 1 bottle of spray ? Do you blend it all up and strain it ?... :/