Fly Control

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by stoneyheightsfarm, Sep 4, 2008.

1. stoneyheightsfarm

stoneyheightsfarm New Member

I know, I'm a pest with the questions! Here's the deal: My doe barn has about ZERO flies. It's 16 x 18, has a dirt (and wood shavings and old hay) floor. The 2 GPs live in there with them, and about 7 roosters have access to that barn. They go in and peck the ground when the dogs are napping in the middle of the day. There is one fly catcher full of attractant hung in there as well.

My buck barn (really the same building as my doe barn, separated by a feed room) is 16 x 8 and has one of those fly catcher/attractant things as well. No dogs (who seem to enjoy eating goat poop as it falls from the source) or chickens. The fly situation there is drastically different from my does' abode. :crazy I want to get rid of the flies, but not sure about tossing a couple roosters in with them...?

Also, these boys just seem to be dirtier than the girls. Is that normal? The girls don't pee or poop on their beds (spools in the barn), but the boys pee and poop on theirs and I'm constantly cleaning them. I've yet to rake out the girls' barn, but I've started cleaning the boys' barn out a couple times a week just to be content with it!

Oh, I also did put sweet pdz down in the girls' barn once... can that make that big a difference? Any suggestions about controlling the flies for my boys? I have heard great things about quick bayt, but am nervous about using a poison... Would fly predators be good? Or just put in a couple of the roosters?

2. hamilton40

hamilton40 New Member

I would go with the roosters. hey don't eat the flies but they eat the larva andthat will usualy get rid of most of your flies. I also try not to use any poisons unless I have to.

Clay

3. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

I would take something for my nerves and give the flies Quick Bayt.

4. stoneyheightsfarm

:lol Ah, maybe I will. Glass o' wine, maybe. One of my boys is a bit skittish still, no matter how much I try loving on him, and as much as I would like something natural, the quick bayt may be better on his nerves. :)

5. Shereen

Shereen New Member

For the first time this year I tried it all. The paint on Quick Bayt- which worked but the flies would drop dead and then I had dead flies on the ground that I felt could be harmful to something (even though I sure it wasn't). So that left me with a bad feeling. Then I tried the Quick Bayt powder stuff- that too worked, but not as well as I expected. I also had to deal with having it around and disposing it which I didn't like that much at all.
    I finally bought the fly predators and that worked. It was amazing, and it still is. I had flies so bad that I couldn't even stand to be in the barn-or even near the barn. It was horrible. Now I only have a few. I couldn't believe how well they worked and are still working (it's been about 6 weeks). I should probably order some more soon.
    Maybe for your situation the roosters would do the job, but for a bigger job- fly predators.

6. Haglerfarm

Haglerfarm New Member

I have kept banty chickens with my goats for years. I have had hardly any fly problems with them. When I had the large breed chickens it did not help. But, the little ones keep everything scratched and picked up. I love them. I have lots of horse people who buy my excess roosters to keep with their horses for this purpose.
    Les

7. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

We use Quick Bayt with great success. We also used fly predators last year but didn't see a huge difference.

I really dislike chickens and would never have them in with my goats. They are okay if penned up but never running loose and pooping in the pens and roosting above pooping in feeders and waterers. :ick No thanks!

Sara

8. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:rofl Mental picture of Sara, running around with pooper scooper after chickens!!

QuickBayt here! Amazing difference and cheaper than fly predators (which I tried, and didn't seem to help). Also have Bantams running around,now (so fly predators would be lunch)...but with squirt bottle banties learn to stay OUT OF MY MILK ROOM!!!

Males are just like that...slobs! It could also be their aromatic aroma! Thinking blow flies, here, to that smell!!
    Kaye

9. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Use chickens while chickens work. But years without deep freezes and years of goats mounting up, if you don't move to something like Quick Bayt (and I will be enternally grateful to Tim Pruitt for telling us about it) you will be overran with flies, which bring pinkeye.

I am with Sara, the idea the farm with hens quietly pecking is idealic. But them pooping on the milkstand, in the feeders, in the hay and on my cement in the milkroom...off with their heads :) vicki

10. susie

susie New Member

Do you use the granules in pain?? or is there a liquid available?

thanks!
    susie

11. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Naw...doesn't hurt me one bit! The flies on the other hand??? :rofl OK...couldn't help it.

I use the granules. But I did notice they had a spot spray,now.
    Kaye

12. stoneyheightsfarm

Well, I tried throwing a couple roosters in there--that was the free and on-hand option. They flew out over the fence. Maybe if I tried putting the ones that are at the bottom of the pecking order in, rather than those at the top, they'd stay. These boys have had the run of the land for quite some time and are stubborn and spoiled. Not sure any would stay. They couldn't find their way to my bedroom window in the morning to tell me it's time to go give them their morning treat! If they roosted in my hay feeders, they'd already be in the stew pot! They prefer the trees to roost and earn their keep with the fly larvae in the doe barn for now. If I didn't hate processing chickens so much, they'd probably already be in the freezer...

So, I got something while at the store yesterday to use--probably not the best stuff, but I can start it in the morning, while anything I order will take a few days and I'm impatient as all get out! It would probably kill any fly predators if I got those... (and I hear lime in the barn will kill them, too?) So quick bayt is going to the top of the "to purchase after the 15th" list. Perhaps I'll stick with all-natural in the doe barn as long as that's working, but since I'm not getting milk out of my boys, I'll settle my nerves about using a poison. Now to think of the most effective yet safe places to put it...

13. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

And really, if your going to use poison, Quick Bayt is the way to do it. It doesn't touch the goats at all. Its a little pellet that the flies go to so it doesn't get in anything. Not like fly sprays or other types of liquids.
    It *really* works!

14. laughter777

laughter777 New Member

Probably answered already, but since others have chickens (or had) and use quickbait. If the chickens (or any other stupid critter) happens upon flies that have died from it any known issues?? I have hens for eggs, stew hens once they are to old to lay, and eventually will have broilers.

Sarah

15. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

I had guineas, turkeys, and a few chickens who roamed through the big doe barn back at the dairy. They I am sure ate the flies and they were all fat and sassy. Now, I probably wouldn't want my layers eating flies dead from quick bayt.........
    Now that I only have *my* goats in *my* barn on *my* place.......I don't have poultry!! :woohoo
    Well, actually I do.....my favorite kind.....in the freezer. ;)