Flushing a doe?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Shykid Acres, May 28, 2008.

1. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

I will show my ignorance now... :blush

What does it mean to "flush" a doe for prebreeding? What does it accomplish? How do you do it?

Thank you.

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

If you use Sue Reith's protacal written in the hypocalcimia article there is no need for flushing. use your BoSE 30 days prior to breeding on both your does and the bucks being used.

3. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

It's actually a term used in sheep and works to some extent in goats. It's uping the feed/protein about 30-45 days pre-breeding to cause the ewes and does to start on a gaining plane. It's said to help with ovulation and more multiple births.
    I just rely on Bo-Se and worming (and little hocous pocous in the repro dept.)...because usually by breeding season, I'm trying to keep the does from getting too fat going into the dry period.
    Kaye

4. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

Won't PG 600 also increase ovulation without the risk of overfeeding? Just a thought. I don't know.

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

BoSE is a vitamin/mineral
    PG 600 is a hormone I think will have to go back and read.
    OK guess it isn't a hormone

6. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

That is interesting. Thank you Sondra. It leads me to another question though.

" ...is used to stimulate the onset of heat and ovulation in prepubertal gilts and weaned sows..."

Will this, or might it cause an out-of-season heat and ovulation to occur in goats? Or does this only apply to swine?

Thanks.

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I don't know all I know is what is 101 regarding it's use with cidr's haven't heard of anyone using it with goats by it's self

8. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

9. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

LOL....yes, Sondra, you're right...it is a hormone.
    Ummmm....that one's still up for debate! I was told in short order (kinda' snippy by a know it all) that there's nothing in it to increase ovulation...but, funny thing to me that with it's use, people are getting more multiples.??

I don't like to suggest using it by it's self just to get multiples. I use it with AI and other things to get settles. Usually when I only have one straw of semen and REALLY want it to work.
    Kaye

10. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

That makes sense. Thanks Kaye.

11. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Well darn I thought it was but then reading that, that I quoted decided it wasn't horse serum and all that stuff :)

12. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:biggrin PMSG & hCG are both hormones.
    My suggestion....read everything you can find on the use of hormones in goats (seasonal breeders) before you start messing with hormones. You can screw up your does cycles BIG TIME by not knowing how to use, when to use and at what doses. Repro is a fascinating subject and has had quite a bit of research done on seasonal breeders.

There is progesterone to consider, estrogen, light effect, and it goes on and on.
    Kaye

13. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

I am certainly not going to mess with this until I learn much more...probably not at all. My questions were spurned on by my desire to "know". Thank you for the info you have already provided. I find it fascinating. :)

You mentioned "light effect"... Did you mean the length of daylight in a day? Does this have a direct correlation to the "seasonal" breeders ability to go into estrus? Like chickens laying fewer eggs when the days are shorter, type of thing?

14. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I know when you are young and new you do have a tendancy to think that you are invinceable and know all. The truth is flying by the seat of your pants can ruin your goats when you are talking reproduction.

The use of PG600 should be done only after you completely understand what it is and how it works and you use a dose that someone you trust uses. Having 6 kids that there is no way a new person could keep alive isn't a good outcome and will happen if you give even the smallest amount more than recommended. You figure that it is used to multiply by 2 gilts liters. This may be fine in some goats, I loved it when Shoofly had 2 kids instead of 1 :) But you give this to a first freshener and you will have tiny little kids born. Give this to a doe with quads in her bloodline and you will likely have abortions or a very ill doe come 100 days bred. I am not saying all this to be mean I am saying all this to scare the crap out of new folks.

No PG600 doesn't have anything in it to give you out of season breedings, the doe must be in heat, naturally or artifically, then yes it will force ovulation.

And please don't go thinking you are now going to prove me wrong by doing it anyway :) vicki

15. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Guess using it on your new MM wasn't a good idea then Vicki she had quads last year.

:rofl :rofl just kidding.

16. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

No worries there Vicki. :) Your warning should and WILL be heeded. Thank you! I would like to know more about it though. I find it very interesting.

17. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

You need to learn about normal reproduction in dairy goats ( different breeds=different cycles=different timings) before you try repro. manipulations. It also helps to have the knowledge on how to fix problems that might arise. Different drugs for different uses, for different problems.

I am not even going into the mini breeds...I don't work well in small mouth fruit jars!!! Arrgghh!
    Kaye

18. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:really Besides, my brain works by seasons...and it's STILL KIDDING season here! Waiting on one more to kid!
    Kaye

19. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

Thank you Kaye. I do wonder though if I can get some CIDR's for this fall or next year to "time" them. Will CIDR's last that long? (Don't worry. I will NOT use them until I know EXACTLY what I am doing. :) Maybe not even then. I have not yet decided. With them so hard to get though, I figured it would be good to have a few on hand for when and IF I do decide to use them.)

...And I would love to learn ALL I can on the normal reproductions of dairy goats. Especially Alpines as that is what I have. Are there any good links that you know of that can give me indepth information on the subject? I would like to know more than just the basics.

......I only had one doe kid this year, Kaye. :lol That was seven weeks ago. I am already thinking ahead to next season and beyond. :)

20. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Sondra, how many goats have you kidded out? That's the difference :) Making collars right now :) vicki