FKS Help

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Sheryl, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

I have three kids that I think have FKS. Two are not too bad, I just gave them 1cc of B complex, and 10cc of pepto. The are active, but not wanting a bottle.

The third kid is not doing good. I gave him what I had on hand last night. water with nutridrench (for cattle, that's all I had) with sugar, salt, baking soda, I had to tube him.

This evening after going for meds, he was flat out on his side screaming (fixing to die) I gave him 24 cc's of dextrose (I can't get lactated ringers), 1cc B complex, tubed him with half of a bottle of pedialyte, and drenched him with pepto. He is now laying with a warm towel (thermometer is in the barn) and I was trying to hurry before it was too late. He is not on his side anymore, he is laying in the up position.

So here's my question how often to give the pedialtye and can I warm it up some to help him get warm, and how often and how much dextrose to hydrate him. I gave the dextrose subQ. I assume the B complex is once a day....for how many days?

Thanks

Sheryl

2. Chaty

Chaty New Member

I wouldnt give him anymore pepto as that will block him up. He needs a BS ball..you take a little BS and put a dropor 2 of water on it and get it into him...he need colostrum and then milk I woudnt give him any more water either as he is too young for water. His tummy isnt ready for water. I would try to get the lactated ringers it has dextros in it. This is just what I would do ...hope he gets better and when you do give him milk put a pinch of BS in it.

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

4. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

bump, bump, dextrose? how often? any ideas. he is up and moving around. will still have to tube him though, he doesn't want a bottle, but he shows signs of hunger.

Sheryl

5. Chaty

Chaty New Member

When you pinch the skin does it stay up or does it go back down? that is a sign of dehydration...I would only give him maybe 10 cc's at first and see if it helps. if it goes down really fast maybe 100 more on the other side.

6. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

If it's true FKS...the baking soda is the recommened practice for reversing the affects.
    Kaye

7. I've only ever had one floppy kid... I tried the baking soda and saw no change or improvement.. I started her on b-complex (1cc a day) and pepto... lots of pepto.. I was afraid of *stopping* her up.. but it didn't. I gave her 6 cc's the first time. (just slowly drenched her)After that I gave 33 cc's that 4 x's a day. Within a couple hours of the first dose, she was up on her brisket. By the next day she was up and wobbling around, that night almost normal. Continued the pepto for I want to say 3 full days. Didn't do it on day 4, she got flat on us again. Gave her a 3cc dose, back to normal. Just kept it up.. 3 cc's a day for a week.. she's now going on 3months and fine.
    OH, also gave her BoSe every other day while she was really bad.
    susie