Fish Tail

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by R and R Farms, Jul 31, 2008.

1. R and R Farms

R and R Farms New Member

I have seen on here several times a reference to fish tail. I think it was said that it was a symptom of copper deficiency, though I could be wrong on that. I am wondering what this is referring to and the "where and hows". My dad has a doe that her hair on her back stands up kinda funny and I'm curious if this could be what is called fish tail.....Mike

2. Rambar Ranch

Rambar Ranch New Member

I believe when their saying fish tail their referring to the goats tail splitting into a y at the end so you can actually see the tail tip.

Ray

3. rg1950

rg1950 New Member

4. R and R Farms

R and R Farms New Member

Thanks. That helped alot. Very informative site, Tara. I don't believe that is what her symtoms are. Her longer hair along her spine just sticks up and curls and waves this way and that. :crazy Most goats I've seen just had theirs lay down rather unifomly. I guess she's just unorthodox. :biggrin

5. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

Ahem... yes I have a few *fluffy* ones... NO CLUE where she got it given her genes...

6. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

When I've heard the term fish tail they were referring to a teat that was actually 2 teats grown together and they looked like a fish tail. This is a genetic abnormality in dairy goats and you don't want to propogate this in a herd.

7. Chaty

Chaty New Member

Thats her hackles that she is raising on her back , they do this when they get excited or angry ...mine do this when they are mad at each other. Fish tail is when the tail splits and a fish teat is when there is a sur or bump on the teat....Kathy

8. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

No, that's fish teat. Fish tail is actually on the tail off the goat, and it's only hair deep. :)

9. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

Wow, glad I saw this thread!! I never realized that's what fish tail referred to. I've got one like that.

[​IMG]

10. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

actually I personally would copper bolus the 2 doelings your dad got... we copper bolused our adults last summer and I know I need to do it again even with the techmaster minerals...

I am just not sure where to buy the supplies now...

11. R and R Farms

R and R Farms New Member

Lynn, I really don't think she is copper deficient it's just that the lighter colored doe isn't as thrifty looking as the black one. We fecaled her and found that she had a pretty good amount of cocci. We are treating her with corrid for 5 days and I think that is gonna be the fix for her. I was just wondering if that hair thing could have been the fish tail symptom I had heard about. It is not. It is strange to me that they are twins and only one has the cocci load. We will get her back to good soon....Mike

12. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

Thanks for that info Mike...

That is very odd that one would have an issue and the other not... and the triplet I kept is in great shape also...

All 3 had the same meds same time... all their weights were within 5lbs of each other usually within 3lbs of each other

2 of course are sleek haired and the other was *fluffy* haired from birth...

so I need to look into this more... that concerns me

13. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I am not sure where all the fish tail to describe this came from or not, but the actual problem is bald tail tip. I suppose in it's early stages it leaves you with hair on both sides that could look like a fish tail, but a bald tail tip everyone would know what you are talking about then. Vicki