First Nubians

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by guiness, Jan 12, 2009.

1. guiness

guiness New Member

Hello all, we are very excited yet very nervous. We just brought home our first Nubian does, Starlight and Sweetheart are beautiful and healthy. They both are 11 months old and come from a top breeder here in Southern California. Kim was nice enough and give me a crash course in goat keeping and made sure I understood the basics before those does left her property. I was bombarded with information on things to do and when to do them and I think I forgot most of them, it was just too much for one day. We don't want to worry too much but we just can't help it, we want them to do good with us. So from here on I will be asking many questions, if you all don't mind.
    Any advise is welcomed. Thank you

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Other than trimming feet once a month and finding the best hay you can, there isn't alot to do this next year unless they are bred. Not alot of CA breed for early kids...are they dry? Biggy is to not let them get fat by continuing grain, the best hay, good minerals, water daily and a place to get exercise is about all there is to it :) Spend your time you aren't milking and raising babies :) to learn how to fecal, so you know if you even have a worm burden in your area or not.

Did she worm the does when they left her place or does she fecal? I alway worm does that are stressed from the move, worms under control or not in her herd, become activated from stress. What did she tell you to worm with?

Congrats on the goats. Vicki

3. guiness

guiness New Member

Thanks for the advice Vicki, she did worm them, trimmed their feet, gave them a copper dose, and a shot of some sort ( forgot what it was), she gave me a syringe full of this thick fluid that I was instructed to give each one a 1cc until I run out. I felt really comfortable with Kim, her knowledge is top notch, she does make sure her does leave in excellent conditions. She did emphasize to bond with them to make the move less stressful. They are not bred yet, she suggested I wait for them to be 1yr old. I can't wait for the day they freshen for the first time.

4. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

What the heck is in that syringe? It doesn't sound like anything I have used before.

I would also want to know what they were dewormed with and at what dose.

Have fun with your new goats.

Sara

5. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

One more thing... we love to read pedigrees, care to share who you got? :)

Again, congrats!

Sara

6. NubianSoaps.com

Yeah could you ask about the shot?

Also make some time to have blood pulled for CAE.....it's one of those, I don't care who you brought from, you have to know for yourself. And for $4 biotracking.com it's worth it to know. Vicki

7. stoneyheightsfarm

stoneyheightsfarm New Member

Maybe probios in the syringe? To be given orally?

8. guiness

guiness New Member

Thanks for all the replies, the does are not registered I had no extra money to have her register them for me. :( Sorry don't have their pedigree. I know I have to draw blood asap to make sure there is no cl or cae.
    The quality of goats she has is spectacular, we got to see 3 permanent champion bucks about 4 more that have one championship to become permanent. She showed me a pregnant doe with quads and told me that the little ones are already sold @ 500 each. I would imagine this doe gives out pretty good kids @ that price.

9. NubianSoaps.com

Thats wonderful Eddie sounds like you are going to have a great start. vicki

10. Theresa

Theresa New Member

Congrads on the new goats! And nubians are wonderful! It is alway exciting and a little nerve raking to get new ones.

Did she give you the option to get papers on them or would that have costed you more? Because you could have gotten the papers and sent them in yourself later. But then if she sold them for less without papers then that would make a difference.

Oh, and we want to see pics!
    Theresa

11. guiness

guiness New Member

They would have cost more if she registered them. I will post pics as soon as I have some taken. Thank you all for the good wishes, we are looking forward to having a wonderful her.

12. KingsCoGoatGuy

KingsCoGoatGuy New Member

Do you know the parents of your new does? Does this breeder have a website? I always love looking at everyones websites. :)

Congrats! I have to warn you of thing that happens in Nubians... They snowball until you have a barn full of them. ;)

13. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Is that what happened!? :rofl

14. ChristinaF.

ChristinaF. Guest

Congratulations!! You're going to love having Nubians! It IS amazing how they multiply! :D

Christina

15. KingsCoGoatGuy

Yes thats what happened... Then I started to shorten the ears to Alpines!

16. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

Congrats on your new girls....how exciting...

17. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

Too funny. :rofl

I can give you a bit of advice if that is what you would call it. ...Do not worry about freaking out here on the forum and you WILL when the goats are about to birth for the first time. We will NOT banish you for going insane. How do I know? ....I'm still here and I totally lost it last year. Just ask anyone on here. LOL

18. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

Yes, Kim did get a little nervous last year, (I wouldn't have called it insane) but she seems muchhhhhh calmer this year.

19. NubianSoaps.com

No she didn't go insane, she drove us insane :) Wouldn't be much of a forum though if we didn't have new folks! Vicki

20. KingsCoGoatGuy

Please don't be shy! I think on my fourth year I *should* handle kidding very well this year. Heck, had to fix some problem kiddings last year and stayed sane... "ish" I still reserve my comments on not being shy, it will be nice to see what I was like the past couple years! ( Don't forget pictures are a MUST ;) )