First hypocalcemia I think

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by LMonty, Feb 25, 2008.

1. LMonty

LMonty New Member

Went out to milk this am about 615 and Dora was laying down and not in any hurry to get up (2 yo Nubian FF freshened on 2/5) Not interested in eating at all, either. Darn it!

Ran back in the house and got the oral CMPK I had on hand, cut it with water, added a little brown sugar to make it palatable and boost the blood sugar. Got a couple of 65 cc syringes down her. Gave her 1.5 cc of dex and 1/5 cc fortified B complex SQ. Within a couple of mins, she was up and nibbling at her feed. I eased her udder off a bit, but didnt milk her out. She still has the buck kid on her.

Dh gave her a few more syringes of it during the day, gave another when I got home around 630 and checked her myself. This eve she's a lot more active, she has eaten some feed mix during the day (my usual mix has 15% alfalfa pellets in it by weight, then I mix it half and half with alfalfa pellets for the milkers) and some hay. Rectal temp 102 even. Fought me pretty hard about taking the calcium/sugar mix this time. :) Milked her but didnt take it all. She was her usual mildly fussy self on the milkstand and ate teh whole time, but not quite inhaling it as she usually does.

Interesting first year back in goats so far! LOL The big Nubian with the skin infection is doing fine, even if she looks a bit mangy after my trim job. Got the Furall on it and its really dried up since Sat when I started treating it. She is waddling even more not quite as fat as JabbaDoe LOL but getting there....

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Good job getting that girl back up and going keep up the cmpk until she is 100%

3. LMonty

LMonty New Member

thanks! I will do that. Just wondering- I wormed her post partum and then repeated it a week (cydectin) Should I do it again? No sign of anemia, I looked, but I wonder if worm pressure is an added stress (ie, if they have worms that affect their absorbtion of nutrients, decreasing available carbs or other nutrients getting into their bloodstream), or if the dex dose makes them less able to fight infection-probably not high enough for that I guess...? or is it more pressure to do it now?

Sometimes I overthink things, "curse of the nurse" I guess! cant always tell when I'm doing it, so its just great to have folks to run it past and get thier feedback, You dont know how much I appreciate that here!

4. LMonty

LMonty New Member

Oh, BTW, you guys are about he only ones in the world who would understand something like this happening- remember i said I did dairy clips this weekend, and trimmed off the hair from the other does infected areas? with the old WAHL trimmer that was still around?

DH (the "daytime calcium giver" is now added to his long list of talents) called me over this evening asked me to sit with him, took my hand in his, looked deeply into my eyes and said:

" Lover, if you ever use any of my personal grooming supplies on a goats butt again, we're going to have some serious problems, got it?."

I had NO idea he ever used that thing on his beard, ive just always noticed him trimming with scissors.

I groveled.

Clippers are back in a box on the shelf in the bathroom.

I was afraid to ask- but God, I hope he cleaned it really good!! or my husband may start looking mangy soon too! I can just see me explaining this to the ER doc... as they soak his face in some antibiotic. I think I'll go crawl under the rug now.

Some years it just doesnt pay to get out of bed.

5. Melissa

Melissa New Member

:rofl
    how did he find out?!

-Melissa