First Cheddar - very dry

Discussion in 'Cheese & Dairy' started by jimandpj, Apr 8, 2008.

1. jimandpj

jimandpj New Member

I am so excited - just cut into my first cheddar and it really did taste like cheddar! :biggrin

But it was very dry.

Could I have waited too long to wax it? It was 4 or 5 days, b/c every time I turned it, it was still wet. Should I have waxed it anyway?

What else could have caused it to be dry?

Thanks!
    PJ

2. coso

coso Guest

I made some last year and it was very dry too. It was ate anyway :lol I ask on a forum and what I got back was that either I got the curd too hot or cooked it too long during the cheddaring process. :shrug2

3. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

Along with the over cooking theory, another thing to consider is that the room where you were drying the cheese prior to waxing may have been too warm. You say the cheese was still wet, but if the room was warm perhaps it was emitting oil and/or moisture.

Also, for how long and at what temp did you age it?

Christy

4. jimandpj

jimandpj New Member

It was fairly warm where it was drying (70-72 range). What should the drying temp be?

It aged in a mini fridge set at the warmest temp (probably about 50 degrees) with a bowl of water in there.
    It aged 6 weeks.

And yes - it definitely was eaten too!
    PJ

5. Rose

Rose New Member

Mine did the same thing. We used it for parmesean. I think I heated the curd too fast.

6. jimandpj

jimandpj New Member

Thanks for the input... I'll kep working on it!
    PJ

7. BlueHeronFarm

BlueHeronFarm New Member

My cheddar was the same. I think it is to do partly with heating it too quickly and partly with getting the acidity too high?
    Interesting we have all done it! The learning curve is so steep on hard cheeses since it takes at least a month to know how you did. :(