Firm stool not berries....

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by togg75, Dec 13, 2008.

1. togg75

togg75 Guest

i have a goat that has more of a pile rather than berries. It is softer than normal. This just started happening to her in the last day or two what could it possibly be? Other than that she seems fine.

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Have you changed her feed? New hay? Can you take a fecal into your vet to have him check for worms....forget what he says about the wormer to use :) just ask him to identify the worm eggs. Vicki

3. togg75

togg75 Guest

We did send two of the four to be bred and I think she is getting more grain than usual could this cause the soild bm's?

4. NubianSoaps.com

Yes especially if she isn't getting enough hay. Vicki

5. togg75

togg75 Guest

She has Hay free choice as much as she will eat.  With soda and minerals free choice.  The last two nights  I have sprinkled some of the minerals over their feed.  I noticed the soda was eaten alot since I filled it....they also have access to alot of green forage still in my pastures because they have only been here for about 4 weeks.

6. NubianSoaps.com

With them being new I would be concerned about parasites. It comes with the territory of living in the south. Did you worm them when they hit your place? With them being freshly bred I would want a fecal before worming them. Coming from an established herd you have purchased resistant worms and brought them home, I would kick their butt this winter so you aren't dealing with them this spring, especially in your young milkers and kids. Vicki

7. togg75

togg75 Guest

I havent wormed them yet. I am hearing that alot of the current wormers are not working on the modern worm populations.

i will be treating with coppasure soon which I hear makes the rumen inhospitable for worms and then hit them with some garilc tabs.

Valabanz(?sp?) is what I am hearing is the only wormer still working.

Their lids still look good no signs of adema...I have not done any fecal work yet.

Any wormer suggestions?

8. NubianSoaps.com

Just to give you an idea of the poor information you are getting, which is pretty typical...lots of long time breeders don't fecal to know what works. The internet, shows and club meetings abound with what is gospel when in fact their guessing.

Both Ivermectin Plus and Valbazen contain flukecides that will abort does if given in the beginning of pregnancy, they are both wonderful wormers for what they are, I use Ivermectin Plus for flukes, I use Valbazen in my kids, but no, for the worms we have, Valbazen is not a good adult wormer. Using it right after kidding, Cydectin the day they kid then 10 days later Valbazen, will also kill the 4th stage HC worm which Cydectin doesn't and also gets me through show season without tapes in my adults, which bother others, doesn't bother the adult goats at all to have tapes.

Cydectin is a wonderful wormer for you and me from spring to fall for HC/Barber Pole worms, in fact other than levamisole or using a cocktail, two wormers at once, little else is a wormer we can in fact use. Ivermectin which comes plain and plus, is likely a wormer you will want to use if you aren' dealing with HC.

Figure you have purchased your worm resistance from the breeder you purchased from, if she doesn't fecal to know what works and what doesn't, what dosages to use, your stuck doing the work yourself. Stress of the move, 100 days pregnant, the day they kid (and you just can't tell folks how important this is, it is not several days or weeks later, it is the day they kid) then simply run a fecal on one doe in the pen each month, at foot trimming each month check everyones eye membranes against the anemia (FAMACHA) chart in goatkeeping 101. That is your worming schedule, nobody can tell you what worms you or don't have, or what will work.... by looking at your goats.

Cool weather worms don't suck blood, so there should be little to no change during the winter unless you have overwintered HC worms in your warm bedding and your goats. Cool weather worms eat your does condition, your feed worms not goats.

Copper bolusing does nothing to the rumen, it puts your does in better health, better immunity, any kind of stress ruins your goats, nutritional stress from nutritional defficency is huge, runs your goats down and lets worms, cocci, pnemonia, foot rot take over.

The difference with alot of the boer info and anemia charts, and edema is that by the time you see anemia, or bottle jaw, you are loosing condition on your does, lost milk, and likely lost kids. Although worming at salvage is all the rage on most forums, it will also ruin your goats, especially your fast growing kids and heavy milkers.

Learning to fecal sample is not hard, a cheapo microscope and a $35 McMasters chambered slide, some salt and water and your set. It is the secret bullet for your herd if you live in the south. Vicki