Dairy Goat Info Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a Lamancha buck for my heard. How do you evaluate a buck and what questions do you ask to figure out its history. I would like to get good genetics out of off spring such as milk production, parasite resistance, body condition.

Would love to hear how others go about buying bucks as far as finding them evaluating their lines and history and how do you put x price on a buck examples of how much you paid and why would be great as well.

Just a little info about my current heard and experience. We have had goats for a little over two years I believe. We pasture run three mostly Lamancha does. one is 25A and 75L, another is 50/50 L and A and then one is pure American Lamancha from what their registration says.

Plus one Doweling. I've never owned a intact buck other than two buckling's that were born here but weren't kept very long after weening.

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
125 Posts
so I only hav experience with Nigerian dwarf lines so I pretty well know which lines are bad and good for Nigerian dwarfs. But I’m not so sure about lines for LaManchas. What I look for and ask when I ask about a buck, is.. a picture of the buck’s dam’s udder and the buck’s sire’s dam’s udder, also if u care about the confirmation in a goat I would look at the dam and sires confirmation and determine if it was good. Maybe ask them if they ever milked his dam and how much she produced.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I don't own any bucks whose dam didn't appraise at least 90 with an E on udder and we never sell any bucks from our herd whose dam didn't appraise at least 90 with an E on udder.

That's why out of approximately 20 born each year 15 usually end up as wethers.

Reactions: Brooklyn

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't own any bucks whose dam didn't appraise at least 90 with an E on udder and we never sell any bucks from our herd whose dam didn't appraise at least 90 with an E on udder.

Okay thanks So much for both of your replies this gives me a good idea on some questions to ask and a direction to shoot towards.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Also how do the evaluation ratings work. What is the number rating them on

I assume the E is more or less size or is it also for appearance for show purposes?

I genuinely no nothing about the evaluation process or show stuff. Trying to learn tho

1 - 6 of 6 Posts