filtering milk

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Good Goats, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Good Goats

Good Goats New Member

Hey ya'll,

I have not been on here in a while... would like to, but life is too crazy right now :). I hope everyone is doing good though. I was wondering what you all use to filter your milk? I have heard about using coffee filters, and tried it, but it was really slow. Do you use the "milk filters" (like from Jeffers)?

Thanks!
    Suriyah

2. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

I use milk filters.

Christy

3. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

:yeahthat

Personally, I would never use coffee filters.

Sara

4. Good Goats

Good Goats New Member

Thanks :). I just *tried* the coffee filter and quickly decided I was not using them, LOL. I have been using a fine-metal-mesh screen for a long time and it worked, but for some reason, it's not working the best anymore and I'm going to switch.

5. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:biggrin Ok, so call me cheap! I like the word thrifty.

I use the 6" filters (orange/white box~can't think of the name off the top of my head) and cut them in half. My strainer is the large SS with the small opening. The filter is held in place by a SS ring that clamps in a groove.
    Kaye

6. Good Goats

Good Goats New Member

Hmm.... thanks Kaye :D

7. Chaty

Chaty New Member

Yep I use the filters also from Jeffers and Caprines...

8. Rose

Rose New Member

I use the Stainless Steel Mini-Filter from Caprine Supply. Love it! If you only are milking a couple of goats, it's the perfect size.

9. Coffee filters aren't good enough IMHO. I use the Mini strainer from Capring Supply with the 6 inch filters. If you buy the smaller filters they are only barely big enough to go into the Mini and often leave gaps if you aren't careful. Too much hassle. Plus, the 6 inch filters are thicker. I feel more confident about the quality of my milk with those filters. Just push it in there and let the excess extend up into the strainer. It hurts nothing. This is the least expensive filtering system i could find, and it works well enough for me. It's all stainless steel. I love it.

10. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks Guest

I use the milk filters & since every so often a hair or speck of dirt seems to get thru, I use 2 filters, 2 whole units, one on top of the other.

11. Good Goats

Good Goats New Member

Thanks everyone for the replies ;).

12. I've never had stuff get through the filter. I just use the mini strainer with Ken-Ag filters.

13. chewie

chewie New Member

i use the same as linda myers, i use the large ss strainer from caprine, i had the small one but didn't like waiting to filter, pour, filter, pour....i wanna dump and get on with other things. i also use ken ag cuz the store close had them. i feel better knowing i use a real milk filter, raw milk isn't something i think should be 'sort of' filtered.

14. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

I use a strainer I got from hoegger. It is stainless and I use a regular milk filter, in a green and white box. I would never use anything I had to clean and reuse. I tried the coffee filter, but that is way to slow.
    Anita

15. cindy

cindy Member

I use milk filters...orange and white box form the local farm store. I fold one of them accordian style, and place it in a funnel or a wire pasta strainer. Then I pour the milk thru. If I'm pouring into milk jugs I use the funnel. If I'm pouring into the pastuerizer, I use the strainer. It's cheap and it works!
    Cindy

16. nitrors4

nitrors4 Guest

I have milk filters I got from Hamby.

17. eliya

eliya New Member

We use the milk filters from Hoeggers. They work great.

18. coso

coso Guest

Ken-Ag 4 9/16 filter with a SS Strainer from Caprine Supply. Feed stores around here carry that filter around here, there like 100 in a box for about $4.50