filtering milk into plastic milk bottles??

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Sondra, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Sondra

Sondra New Member

This is probably a weird question but do any of you have a way to filter milk right into a plastic milk bottle? I have been filtering into either a large jar or a bucket, then pouring into my bottles.
    But would like to filter right into the bottles now that I have them.

2. Chaty

Chaty New Member

I take coffee filters that are cone shaped and they seem to do a good job Sondra...all you have to really do is hold the edge. Hope this helps some

3. buckrun

buckrun New Member

I use a funnel that exactly fits the 6 inch filter in the orange box (?).
    The filter goes in there perfectly with a little pleat. I hold the funnel where the pleat is and pour.
    Lee

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

seems like they should make something just for this.

5. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Sondra,
    I use my green funnel on top of the gallon milk jugs, then put my SS strainer onto the funnel. I strain directly into the funnel, into the milk jug.
    Kaye

6. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

I do it the same way Kaye does. I just use my SS strainer (with filter) on top of a SS funnel. Being the anal person that I am.. I use my SS strainer in the pail first then re-strain into milk jugs.
    Stacy

7. reedfarm

reedfarm New Member

We purchased a pre-formed fine mesh coffee filter for about $5 (not paper) and a funnel to get the milk filtered and put into bottles. It works GREAT!

8. Pairaka

Pairaka New Member

I use the small stainless strainer and bought a kitchen funnel to fit into the mouth of plastic jugs: Stainless funnel with filter goes into kitchen funnel into plastic bottle. You have to hold it or it tips, and I'd like a better solution, but it works. I've been thinking about making a neck adapter out of PVC pipe, but then I saw the green funnels that people posted about. I looked at my local TSC for them and couldn't find them, however. Drat.

-- Wendy

9. buckrun

buckrun New Member

Sondra
    Someone DOES make something for this but the web site I saw it on is no longer up there.
    Maybe someone can find it - it is a funnel that had an extra collar that sits on the outside of the jug and holds it in place so you can use 2 hands to pour.
    Still looking
    Lee

10. buckrun

buckrun New Member

http://www.freewebs.com/mssupp
    Kaye's green funnel??

Modified to say that this supply company is no longer reliable or in business, so get your funnels in the birdfeed section of different stores.
    Sondra

11. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Yep, Kaye's green funnel... can't find it at TSC either. Still looking. I wish they made one that was SS. now that would be cool! :)

12. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Check out places that cater to wild bird feeders...it's actually made to pour bird seed into gallon milk jugs. Even Home Depot,Lowes,ect...
    Kaye

13. Jo@LaudoDeumFarm

Jo@LaudoDeumFarm New Member

14. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

If your just looking for some nice SS funnels, you can find 'em at Linen's & Things. I got a pair, sold together, for $7.. Stainless steel to boot! :)

15. Jo@LaudoDeumFarm

http://www.kegworks.com/product.php?productid=172212

Here is another ss one, that's similar to the wide plastic.

I'm looking for a past pouring funnel for milk jugs, that's not going to tip when the milk is poured in. I was wondering if there was another alternative to these green funnels that would work with milk jugs and also be o.k. with food uses.

16. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

That looks just like the one I got from L&T, strainer in it and all, but I got 2 of 'em, 2 different sizes for $7..

17. Jo@LaudoDeumFarm

have you used these to pour milk into jugs? Di d they wobble or spill or was there and leaking? Are tehy about 51/2 inches? How fast do they pour/drain?

18. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Since I use my ss strainer on top of it, and it's large, I just hold 'em both with one hand and pour with the other.. I've been doing this for quite a while, so I've gotten used to it. They do drain quite quickly and so I fill jugs pretty quick. I would think on their own, they may be a bit wobbly.. haven't tried 'em alone though. :/

19. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Did you check out the shipping on those things? for me it would cost almost $12 just for S&H.. :really