Fight-Bac

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by pop, Mar 6, 2008.

1. pop

pop New Member

We have been using Fight-Bac spray as a post milking teat treatment for a year or so now. Can anyone give me any info on something better or any pros or cons on the product.

2. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

Have never used it myself although it looks very convenient. I just use an iodine or chlorhexidine based dip with a teat dip cup.

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I use 1/4 cup clorox to 1 gal water.

4. Katarina

Katarina New Member

I believe that it has been discussed on here as not having enough meds per the label to do an adequate job killing the bacteria making it convenient but not effective.

5. BlueHeronFarm

BlueHeronFarm New Member

Hm-- I guess I missed that conversation.
    We use it and we really like it.
    So far it has served us well.

6. Katarina

Katarina New Member

from an old thread by Vicki M...

"I did an informal poll a couple of years back when folks were fighting mastitis problems at shows, or coming home from shows with mastitis. Hands down it was the Fight Bac, and when you are at shows is the time you want a really good teat dip, not a convienent one. I know when we looked into it, and perhaps they changed the concentration, but the chlorhexiderm percentages in the fight back were half of what you make when you mix chlorhesiderm/glycerin clean water to make your own."

From the same old thread by Kaye...

Quote:
    I've been told the cholorhexi-stuff is not at a high enough percentage to be effective.

This is exactly what I was told by a dairyman/showman. Told me to stay with the iodine based teat dips/washes. He manages a 300 cow dairy with a show string.

Quote:
    I LOVE this,if you can find it and don't mind paying for it- Bovidine...its by Westagro. It's about $15-20 a gallon but that stuff works. I like basically a 1% iodine dip with 10% lanolin or something like that. ALSO DIP THEM, i hate seeing people spray the teat! I am the type that its called teat DIP not teat SPRAY. Also I did a reseach project in college about dipping verus spraying and you use about 25% less dip and get a far better kill rate on dipping. ALSO if you don't want to pre-dip use a good udder wash with iodine in it and a new towel each goat. I just use paper towels and had good luck but I like cloth better but hate washing them.

7. BlueHeronFarm

BlueHeronFarm New Member

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...we'll have to talk this one over.
    Thanks for posting that.

8. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

I use it. I ordered about 6 cans of it one time and I need to use it up. I just spray the heck out of the teats and I haven't had a problem.

9. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

Don't know what it does for the teats.....gives me a bad rash. :lol