FF post birth question

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by BlueHeronFarm, Apr 11, 2008.

1. BlueHeronFarm

BlueHeronFarm New Member

We just had our first kid kid...I'm a grandma!
    Anyway, her whole back end is still REALLY swollen. And we can see vaginal tissue - it's quite red. I'm not sure if this is slight prolapse? Is it normal when a small doe kids to stay "disturbed" for a while? I can take a photo if the description doesn't make sense. I am just worried that she is so red and swollen. It's been about 4 hours.

Thanks!

2. Truly

Truly New Member

Put some Prep H on it to help the swelling. The swelling usually goes down in a day or two.

As long as she doesn't looked ripped it should be ok.

3. BlueHeronFarm

BlueHeronFarm New Member

If she tore a little (I can't tell yet -- I think it's all swelling, not tearing) what should we do? Just want to be prepared if it looks funny after the swelling goes down a little.

4. Truly

Truly New Member

I let someone with more experience tell you what to do for a tear.

Mine have looked a little "inside out" shortly after kidding. It's just swelling. I put Prep H on it and it always goes down in a day or two.

This happens especially with singletons as just having one kid usually means a big kid. That's a LOT of stretching.

5. pokyone42

pokyone42 New Member

Had a smallish Boer cross give birth to a good-sized single this year..... She looked SO swollen and SORE! (Moreso than they usually do.) Prep H helped her ALOT! Swelling was down within about 5 days.......

6. BlueHeronFarm

BlueHeronFarm New Member

Thanks, y'all. It is the first one I've seen like this. I feel so sorry for her. :(

7. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

A vaginal tear isn't a biggy, they rarely tear into their anus or into the cervic like women doe with bad tears. Preperation H and keep the area clean. I really clean up my does after milking. Also shaving under the tail, the rear udder, legs and belly, makes keeping them clean eaiser. With machine milking I do clean the teats well, but keep really major cleaning of the perineal area for after milking so nothing runs down onto the teats. Vicki

8. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Most of them have some swelling. Prep-H does wonders. LeeAnn and I both agreed...do nothing for a tear. It WILL heal as long as the edges are touching. Don't put anything but the Prep-H on the vulva. She will have a discharge for as long as two weeks. Most stop at 7-8 days. Clean out.
    Kaye

9. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

My FF doe just had a single buck three days ago, she is almost back to normal and I did not use prep H. Did not have any. I smeared a bag balm/anticeptic paste on her yesterday and have been keeping her as clean as possible. Mine is still having discharge. Normal I guess.

-Kim

10. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

The object of the Prep-H is, it has a numbing effect, plus it shrinks swollen tissue. Think hemorrhoids.
    I don't know that I'd use bag balm, just had good results from the Prep-H.
    Kaye

11. BlueHeronFarm

BlueHeronFarm New Member

Well, she looks MUCH better today. All the "inside" tissue is back inside. She's still puffy, but she looks so much better.

Poor thing. We've never had a FF kid before- I should probably get used to this. We have 7 more to go.