FF is aborting - need advice please

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Little Moon, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Little Moon

Little Moon New Member

One of my FF's is aborting today At most she could be 2 1/2 months along. What do I need to do for her? I remember something a while back about a uterine wash, but of course I can't find it :help2

TIA,
    Anne

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

There is nothing to do. Rebreed her back the next heat. Sorry...Vicki

3. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

I agree with Vicki....but in the mean time I would be trying to get some answers as to why this pregnancy was terminated. You may find something that needs to be corrected, where you can make a change now, and possibly avoid loosing her next kids too.

Whim

4. Little Moon

Little Moon New Member

Thank you Vicki and Whim. I was just heartsick this morning when I saw her. She is my favorite and my first registered doe. Do I need to follow with an antibiotic? I am hesitant to re breed her right away and that would mean kids in October - pretty chilly here in October. Also, will she cycle again 21 (ish) days from now?

Thanks again,
    Anne

5. Sorry to hear she's aborting. I agree with the others, try to see what caused her to abort so you can try to prevent it next time.

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

There really isn't anything to test, or to find out what happened...well perhaps move her out of the pen if you have a mean herd boss slamming her. An abortion storm wouldn't happen just to one goat, you next doe bred to the same buck would also abort next. There isn't any placenta or brain of the kid to necropsy. And sure you can use tetracycline any 200 mg...ie. biomycin etc. 3.5 cc per 100 pounds subq, for 7 days...but it's likely overkill. She likely won't come back into heat until her normal cycle this late summer or early fall. Dont let her get fat on your now that she is going to be dry. And treat her like a doe who just freshened....worm etc... Vicki