FF due date...came and went

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by andiplus5, Mar 21, 2008.

1. andiplus5

andiplus5 New Member

Ok, I have a ff oberhasli (kaye this is Zin i'm talking about). If her hand breeding had taken she would have been due today. She is just now starting to look pregnant though. Her ligaments are still good and strong. She doesn't look anywhere near kidding. Except her extremely tiny udder is now full and tight. It is still tiny though. So my question is should I look for her to kid around now...this due date...or should I look for her to kid in 3 weeks which would be the next due date? I just don't get the feeling that she is ready to kid until I look at that udder. (Which makes me laugh because it's so small.) :rofl
    Thanks in advance!
    Andi in OK

2. goatkid

goatkid New Member

If this were my doe, I'd be watching her closely. My last doe to kid so far is one of those goats who keeps you guessing. Last year, I wasn't sure she was bred till the day she kidded. This year, she was bred on the same day as another doe. The first doe kidded on the 16th and was obviously bred. With Lotus, she looked bred as far as getting round, but she's a chunky doe anyway. She did not seem to be making an udder and her hoo hoo didn't look like my other bred does. The day she kidded, her tiny udder got just a wee bit bigger and I thought she might go the next day. She was at day 156. Well, she kidded and DH wasn't watching when it happened. She had a single doeling and we lost the kid. At least now I know this doe's pattern. Kathie

3. Chaty

Chaty New Member

With mine its hard to tell if they are just carring a single. I would watch her real close...bet its a single

4. Dawn

Dawn New Member

I had one that had a single and she did Not look bred at all. She kidded in the evening and she didn't start making milk till the afternoon and lost her ligaments around they same time.. So I would watch her if I were you.
    Emily

5. andiplus5

andiplus5 New Member

Thanks y'all. Keeping watch as I type...lol
    Andi

6. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

They really like to mess with our heads don't they!!

7. Dawn

Dawn New Member

Yeah, your telling me!!!! LOL :biggrin

8. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

:biggrin It's an Oberhasli...they never do things by the book.
    According to the only breeding date I have...she's 151 days, today. I wouldn't give up until a week has passed and no kids. Then start looking at 21 days. I don't have her wrote down anywhere else...but, that's not to say I didn't breed her again. I was getting pretty disgusted with her owner about that time...because I was doing all the work and she didn't even bother helping. :really I may have bred her 21 days later...but since owner didn't care, I didn't write it down.??

The Saanen buck was turned loose with the does on 10/23 and taken out on 11/2. Zin was in the Obie buck's pen...so, she's not bred to the Saanen. Togg buck was turned loose with them on 11/26. She was with the group at this time.
    Kaye

9. andiplus5

andiplus5 New Member

Oh, I see! I thought she was in with the saanen buck! So she is due now. Well......huh whadda ya know! That's one tiny baby and one tiny udder on mom! I guess I'll keep a closer eye on her. I thought you had said that if she didn't kid now to add three weeks. You musta meant PITA. Who btw is a good mom!! And she has such pretty, chocolate babies! Now if Zin would just kid :tapfoot
    Andi