FF Acting Strange

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by tmfinley, Apr 28, 2008.

1. tmfinley

tmfinley Member

One of my FF Nubians that is due any day now is acting strange. She is standing off by herself very quiet. At one point today she seemed to be sleeping standing up. I just went to check on her and she is still off by herself while everyone else is in the woods foraging. When I came in to the pen with some weeds she came right up to me like nothing was wrong and gulped them down.

Could this mean labor is close or should I be worried about something else being wrong? She also just started getting an udder this week. It looks a little unbalanced, one side is bigger than the other. Could this be a problem in the future, or now for that matter? My other FF's udder is filling out also but looks more uniform.

Thanks for the help again!
    Tiffany

2. Truly

Truly New Member

She is getting real close. I'd be checking her every hour at this point, if not just staying with her.

The uneven udder isn't too much of a worry at this point. Keep an eye on it as she develops more.

3. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Go get your kidding supplies. Just in case. Sounds like she is behaving properly for prelabor. Keep a very close eye on her tonight. If you see thick white discharge you know it is imminent. :biggrin Have fun!

4. Chaty

Chaty New Member

:yeahthat sounds pretty normal prelabor to me also...

5. tmfinley

tmfinley Member

Well nothing last night. She is still the same today. I tried to let her out of the kidding pen today and she didn't want to go. Something is going on because they hate being in the kidding pen.

6. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Listen at you go Kim!! Sound like an old pro. :biggrin
    Is she eating her alfalfa or alfalfa pellets and grain the way she should? Drinking her water? Is it getting warm where you are? How is her breathing? Fine? Rapid and Shallow?
    Body condition? When was she last dewormed and with what?

7. BlueHeronFarm

BlueHeronFarm New Member

Ours all try to segregate themselves when they are about to kid. Sounds like you're just hours away. :)

8. tmfinley

tmfinley Member

I tried to post earlier but it didn't show up so I'll try again. She is eating everything given to her including alfalfa pellets, oats, and weeds. I think she is drinking water, I'll have to keep my eye on that. It is in the 80s today, though has been cooler the last few nights. Her breathing mostly normal maybe a bit rapid. She was wormed around 100 days with Ivermectin Plus. Her body condition is good. I have noticed her and her sister have developed quite a waddle with their new udders and growing bellies.

9. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Tee hee. Thanks. I have everyone here and my crazy doe to thank for that. :D

10. tmfinley

tmfinley Member

Her udder is really hard and shiny now. She is just laying in the kidding pen looking miserable. I think her ligaments are gone, although I don't think I'm good at telling. I think it is obvious she is going into labor now. When should I go in and check her out? Should I wait until she starts progressing more and starts pushing? I'm not scared to go in now, I just don't want to put her through any extra pokings if I don't need to.

Thanks again,
    Tiffany

11. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Is she pushing? If she pushes (and you will know it when she does) and there is no progress, I would go in. Have a seat in the barn and have a cup of tea. Or come out and check her every half hour/hour for progress. Have fun! :biggrin

12. J-Basqo

J-Basqo New Member

You must be out in the barn.. How did it go, what'd she have?!
    Patina

13. tmfinley

tmfinley Member

Nothing. Not one thing happened last night. Her udder is rock hard and I think her ligaments are gone. The area around her tail is all sunken in. She was uncomfortable all last night, getting up and down and up again.

Now this morning she seems normal again except for her physical condition. I let her go in with the other goats this morning and she is not standing off by herself now.

Do You ever get the feeling your goats are laughing at you??

14. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks Guest

All the time :)

15. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

YUP! Sounds like what my FF doe did to me... Ugh! I lost several sleepless nights with that one. Sounds like your doe IS very close though. Keep checking.

16. She may just be getting ready to kid, but I would definitly clean up and lube and ch ck her. She may well have a mapositioned baby in there....
    Becky