Feta question

Discussion in 'Cheese & Dairy' started by steffb, Apr 6, 2008.

1. steffb

steffb New Member

I have a few different recipes for Feta. I have not made it before thinking it had too much salt for me. But I had some one ask it I made it so I thought I should try some. I am reading all the recipes I have and they all seem to confuse me.
    The feta I have seen has been dry and crumbly. The recipes seem to leave me with chunks, rather large in some cases,sitting in brine. How do I go from cheese in brine to dry crumbly cheese.

2. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

The salt in the brine draws moisture from the cheese leaving it dry and crumbly.

Christy

3. steffb

steffb New Member

How can something soaking in liquid for weeks get dry?

4. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

I have made feta without brining that, after a year, is still wonderful. I do all the regular steps until salting. I'll put the pieces in a large flat glass baking dish and cover with salt, turn the pieces over & salt again to make sure they are throughly covered, then tilt the dish so that they don't sit in draining whey. I will pour off the whey (I save this for other uses) and salt some more.. I will repeat this until I'm getting little if any more whey at the bottom, then take each piece (gloved hand) and shake off remaining salt, put it in a glass jar and put it in the fridge.. The pieces will be dry and somewhat hard but crumble well and taste yummy in salads and stuff. I haven't tried the melting aspect yet.

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

That is the way I do it too Stacy but I then put in olive oil with herbs and sometimes a hot pepper love it on salads. keep in frig.

6. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member