Fencing

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by missanna, Jun 18, 2008.

1. missanna

missanna Guest

There is an area of my land which has been used to graze cows for many years. It is only fenced on three sides, because the fourth side is a wooded mountain, and cows will not wander away with that on one side. I want to turn that into my male goat pasture. Will I need to fence in the fourth side? I don't care if the goats go up the mountain, but up and over is a national forest where they should not go.

2. MysticHollowGoats

MysticHollowGoats New Member

If it were me, I would fence it. Goats love to climb and can be very curious.

3. leslieh

leslieh New Member

Yes, definately fence it. Or they will go "walk-a-bout"!

Leslie

4. Belle

Belle New Member

I would fence it too because if there is anywhere they are not supposed to go, that is where they will want to be.

5. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

:yeahthat

Perfect description!

Sara

6. Jo~*

Jo~* New Member

I still have a lot to learn about goats but speaking from just my experience with other critters Id fence it, if for no other reason to keep whatever you have in your woods that might eat your goats from doing just that. I know that most predators could get over a fence but maybe a fence would make them think twice. We have bears in my area but as of yet none have ever came in my yard. Now my neighbor that has not fence has had bears in her trees on occasion. Also do you have any poisonous plants in the wood?

7. missanna

missanna Guest

We are in Virginia, so I don't really worry about predators. The only thing in the national forest that might be a problem would be abandoned hunting dogs, but the guard dogs and donkeys for the herd should be able to discourage that. The main problem would just be them wandering off. From what people have said, I will put off using that pasture for goats for a few years until I can get around to fencing it.

8. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

The main reason my woods pen is fenced is not about predators, it is adjacent to 350 acres of pastures and thousands of acres of woods. Mine is because of my bucks would walk that 350 acres of fenceline and find their way to the doe pen anyway they can :) Vicki

9. pokyone42

pokyone42 New Member

I would fence it... bucks can be VERY persistant!

10. Sondra

Sondra New Member

have to agree FENCE IT

11. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

""" I will put off using that pasture for goats for a few years until I can get around to fencing it. Anna"""

A few years is a long time to wait. I would also fence it, and would consider doing it with electric fence. You could do electric for a fraction of the cost, so it might let you fence it much quicker than in a few years.
    That electric wire back there would not only help keep your goats in, but would be a great detourant for those hunting dogs and other stuff.....and I don't think that there is anywhere in the states that doesn't have coyotes now days.

My neighbor keeps a jackass in his pasture for to keep the dogs and stuff out.....and yes, it works to some degree.....but I still see dogs and coyotes cross his pasture from time to time.

Whim