feeding vs. milking time...

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by chewie, Sep 17, 2008.

1. chewie

chewie New Member

maybe this is elementary but i seem to be noticing more milk when i feed their hay, and then milk within an hour of that. if its longer, not much diff. in milk, or milking first then hay, is the same. does anyone else have info along this issue?

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Have no info on this at all, as I don't feed hay this time of year only alfalfa pellets and the only difference there is if they don't get their 3lbs then they milk a third less.

3. I have noticed the same in my does this past winter. I give them the alfalfa pellets free choice and their grain on the milkstand. But it gets so cold here that I also give them native grass hay too, just so they can keep warm. And I do notice that I get more pounds of milk when they get that grass hay than when they don't. I don't know why.

4. doublebowgoats

doublebowgoats Active Member

Are you saying that if you give their hay an hour before you milk, it helps them milk better? That's interesting. My LM doe gives the same amount of milk regardless of feeding schedule, but my ND cross gives more milk when I allow her to eat for several minutes before I start milking. And both girls give more when they have hay and not just alfalfa pellets.

5. I just noticed that I got more milk when I gave them grass hay after they had their requisite amount of alfalfa pellets. They had the grass hay available at all times just like the alfalfa de-hi. Of course, they like the alfalfa more so they eat it first, then go to the grass hay and fill up some more. Naturally, the more grain they consume on the milkstand (up to a point) will help get more milk.

6. Feral Nature

Feral Nature Active Member

Mine give more with grass hay too.

7. chewie

chewie New Member

that is what seems to be happening. this started b/c i have the kids (human) do the feeding before they leave for school. i milk within the hour, usually towards the end of that hour. then on weekends we all go out together, and the amt of milk seems to be less when they are fed at milking time rather than before. i was wondering if anyone else has this. as is, i'll continue this practice since its working!

8. doublebowgoats

doublebowgoats Active Member

Well that is an interesting observation. Thanks for sharing!