Dairy Goat Info Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to find the best feed for dairy goats and I can't find how much a goat needs of different vitamins, minerals, crude fat, crude fiber or crude protein. I want to either find an all in one or mix my own feed. I already know I'm going to set up free choice minerals (don't know if I'll do loose or block) and alfalfa. I just need to get what I want to feed to my bucks, dry does and does in milk I don't know if I'm going to feed them all the same feed or if I should feed different feeds. Of course when I look it up I either get the information for meat goats or "1/2 pound of high quality alfalfa hay and a grain ration or 1-1.5 pounds of lower quality alfalfa hay"

· Super Moderator
138 Posts
so idk if I’m much help 🤷‍♀️anyways. I do not feed my goats a certain dairy feed but would love to get more into that. I feed all my goats oats and alfalfa pellets. I have considered switching possibly my does to a feed from Purina that is meant specifically for dairy goats. but I need to look more into and actually see how good it is. my feed tho, like I said is just a very simple feed for now. and I do wanna tell you something about the minerals tho! it is great that you have decided to do that an all, my suggestion for you if your gonna do free choice do the block, cause they don’t get as much then, but if ur gonna do loose give it to them yourself to make sure they don’t get too much. I normally just give them a certain amount each day, or every few days, pour it into there feeding troughs and that’s it. This is just MY opinion tho on it all. Also tho. Make sure whatever type of mineral u get, that it doesn’t have an overload of salt in it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts