Feeding New Mom

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Alpine Haven Farm, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Alpine Haven Farm

Alpine Haven Farm New Member

Hi, sorry if this question is old and been asked a million times. I really tried to look at the Goatkeeping section first and some older posts, so I apologize if I've missed this type of question. I have a 5yr old Alpine Doe that just kidded today with 2 bucks. She is a very large doe compared to my others and has currently been getting just about a lb. of grain a day, with a bit of beet pulp added to it.

I'm wondering how much to increase her grain now that she'll be feeding the babies? I still will be feeding her free choice hay/alfalfa pellets, but would imagine she'd need more grain to keep up with the milk demand.

Thanks in advance,
    Laura

2. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

How much does she weigh? Approximately? Is she a heavy milker? There are many factors that would determine how much she should be fed. I'm not sure how to answer your question. Perhaps someone much more experienced than I can help. More information on your doe might help.

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

By the time mine freshen they are getting 1lb morning and 1 lb evening feedings. so what ever you do , do it gradually adding another 1/4 cup to thier grain over a week or so. so start off with 1/2 lb morning 1/2 lb eve then tomarrow add in a little more to the grain ea feeding. Now my larger does and heavy milkers get between 1 1/2lb to 2 lb ea feeding. depending on the doe and production.

4. Alpine Haven Farm

Alpine Haven Farm New Member

Wow.... sounds like I definitely need to be feeding her more grain. I was worried about giving her to much and having her be too heavy...too large of kids. She probably weighs about 135lbs.

Haven't really milked her much since I bought her as I dried her up right away since she was extremely extremely thin and I just wanted to get her healthy before breeding. She probably put on 15 lbs before breeding but I was told she was producing over a gallon a day. We'll see.

I will increase her grain .... but make sure it's done very gradually...thanks for the info.
    Laura