feeding/hypocalcemia, etc.

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Thermopkt, Apr 19, 2008.

1. Thermopkt

Thermopkt New Member

I know this has been gone over and over again, but I'm trying to get it straight in my head. :? I've just reread the hypocalcemia articles in GK101. My two does are getting free choice alfalfa pellets, some grass hay and about three handfuls of grain per doe per day. They go through about 4-6 2.5# coffee cans of pellets a day. There is also a 7 mo old in there eating them too. They are due in the next two to three weeks, not exactly sure. Does this sound right? Am I overdoing the calcium? One article mentioned phosphorus deficiency. What does that look like? The older doe does act like it's a lot of work to walk, but she's also HUGE. I walked a lot like that when I was almost due, too.:)
    Thank you all for going over this for the zillionth time. :thankyou

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I think it sounds fine. When a doe has phosphrous defficency (which I have never heard of :) it simply means she isn't getting enough grain, when milking she will simply loose weight and milk less...when pregnant and they need that energy from the grain to grow kids they go into toxemia.

Your diet is very similar to what I feed, sounds good to me. Just keep upping slowly the amount of grain she gets, while keeping the alfalfa pellets the same, until she is at a normal milk stand ration when she is about a week fresh. Not to fast or she just gets fat when dry and heavy bred, not to fast when she is milking or you will have milk fever. Vicki

3. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

It is a must to keep the phospherous to calcium ratio at a 1:2 percentage at least. Never more than 1:5. I feed twice a day:

2 cups alfalfa pellets (calcium) (Sometimes 3 cups or more)
    1 cup grain (phospherous)
    1/2 cup boss
    top dress with calf manna.

That is what I learned from the articles I read.

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

2 cups alfalfa pellets (calcium) (Sometimes 3 cups or more)
    1 cup grain (phospherous)
    1/2 cup boss
    top dress with calf manna.

Without alfalfa hay this wouldn't be enough calcium for my big nubians, and in milk, or heavy bred with my high multiples, there is no way this would be enough grain. So this just shows how different feeding programs can be. Vicki

5. Corky

Corky New Member

As I have few goats compared to most of you and a lot less years of experence I can only say what happens here.

I feed my does one cup of grain morning and evening no matter what.
    If they are dry, that is all they get. I feel they need at least that much to help them get calcium from the alfalfa.

If pregnant I gradually up it to two cups a feeding. I used to do more but got such big kids I quit feeding so much grain to pregnant does. I still get big kids though. ?

When I am milking them I up it to a full scoop(one pound) at each milking if they will eat it. I have one that would eat two pounds if I let her but I add alfalfa to hers.

I do this for all my does and I only have one doe that has calcium problems and she does no matter what I do for her in advance.
    It is her age I believe. She will not be bred again.

I think some will be prone to it and others wont.

6. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

This is what I feed her twice a day. She is still very small in stature. Seems to do very well on it though. I think she might have had something as a kid and it stunted her growth because she is not a big doe at all. But feeding programs do differ very much. I guess it depends upon the animals nutritional needs along with other things. :)