Feeding grains instead of sacked feed

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by cloverhillgoats, May 23, 2008.

1. cloverhillgoats

cloverhillgoats New Member

I'm new here--so bear with me... ;) We just sold all of our pygmy goats and I am down to one goat right now, a 1 1/2 year old LaMancha/Nubian in milk. So, I am trying something new in feed. I bought Vicki's mix that she emailed me a while back . (Thanks Vicki) Milkstand grain: 1lb. crimped corn, 1 lb. Calf Manna, 9 lb. whole oats. Barn Grain: 3 lb./day Alfalfa pellets. I also switched to Bluebonnet Tech-Master Complete minerals. I keep hay, baking soda, and minerals out free choice. My question is this: She will not touch the alfalfa pellets. How do you get her to eat them? Should I just mix them in the milkstand grain--which she loves? Also, if there is anything I'm doing wrong, let me know.

P.S. I will be looking to get another Nubian in the fall. I told my dh I have "new goat" fever already! :biggrin

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Well for starters and you may already be doing this but feed your grain mix only on the milk stand and the alfalfa pellets out for her free choice or at least 3lbs. Now if your feeding alfalfa hay she is not going to eat the pellets. But if your feeding grass hay she should. Sometimes it takes a while for them to adjust to pellets but so far mine go for them as if they were starving to death. how much are you feeding her per milking?

3. Rose

Rose New Member

You can also try a different brand of alfalfa pellets. Some goats like other brands. :/

4. My goats inhale the alfalfa pellets. LOL. They have alfalfa hay available but it doesn't have alot of alfalfa in it so that is why I got the pellets.

5. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

"""""Also, if there is anything I'm doing wrong, let me know. """"""

If you are listening to Vicki, you are doing something very right. Vicki is about as good as they get when it comes to goat care, so learn all you can from her.
    I have bought a new doe lately that was on Alf hay only. She would not eat my alf pellets (by itself) for the first few days ...so I started putting a mix of alf pellets with her grain. I increased the pellet amount every day with her feed. By the end of about a week, she would eat the pellets fine.

Whim

6. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

I agree, what brand are you using? Mine won't touch Purina pellets which are compressed with some type of oil. :/
    And what everyone else says, if your feeding alfalfa hay also, they won't go for the pellets. If you mix 'em a bit like Whim said, and gradually increase she'll find that she actually likes 'em.

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Also if mixed with any oils then that could be rancid so goats won't eat them

8. goatkid

goatkid New Member

My goats will eat their alfalfa pellets even though they get straight alfalfa hay. My pellets are made from the same hay as I feed. It's really great to have a pellet mill in the area. Kathie