Feeding doelings till breeding

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by VickiLynne, Oct 9, 2008.

1. VickiLynne

VickiLynne Member

Just curious how much or free choice medicated meat goat pellets do you feed your doelings up till breeding?

Vicki in NC

2. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

I don't feed mine free choice. I put out about 2# each for them in the morning along with about 2# each alfalfa pellets for the day. They have grass hay and minerals and water free choice.

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

doelings get their normal feed ration's up until 100 days from freshening then I switch them over gradually to my grain mix with no medications and continue with that so that when the freshen they are on at least 1lb grain morning and then again in the evening. I adjust the amount up or down depending on their production or capability of production

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I free choice mine. I am using alfalfa hay on my kids this year instead of alfalfa pellets, it has kept them eating the meat goat pellets about the same as last year, but their consumption of hay is much more than with grass hay and alfalfa pellets. There weights are also up about 5 pounds across the board so they are doing well. I just was never happy with the amounts of alfalfa pellets my kids were eating....or really were not eating. vicki

5. VickiLynne

VickiLynne Member

Thanks for the responses.

Vicki in NC

6. We feed Primer 1 free choice up to six months of age on our bottle babies. It has a roughage in it, so hay isn't necessary, but they have grass hy available anyways.

7. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Member

And just to throw another point of view in it -- I don't grain my doelings at all. Of course, we are fortunate enough to have top notch alfalfa hay that is fed free choice.

Tracy

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

The last two years prior I fed only alfalfa pellets and grass hay This year I am again trying the medicated pellet but so far can't really see a difference in growth.

9. Wendy Tinney

Wendy Tinney New Member

That sure saves on the feed bill. I'm glad to know that you don't see a difference!

Wendy

10. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Uh,oh...here she goes. :biggrin
    Mine are on free-choice feeders with 14% horse pellets (the meat goat pellets around here are awful and $4 a bag higher than the horse feed!??) :really Yes, I'm still coccidia treating them every 21 days with Corid. They get free-choice alfalfa hay and of course minerals.
    There's 9 doelings in a pen with a 25# self feeder. This feeder gets filled once a day and by the next fill is empty! They will be kept on this feeder until they are 9 mo., bred 60 days, or put into the dry pasture...whichever comes first. I'm breeding 6-7 mo. old doelings weighing in the 90#+ range, now. (just because I'm tired of listening to them beller!)
    Kaye

11. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

And nobody go out and start free chocing your goatlings on grain just because we do it, we have been doing it since they started eating grain. :) vicki

12. stoneyheightsfarm

stoneyheightsfarm New Member

That would just be asking for enterotoxemia, right? But if you wanted to switch to free choice grain, (first of all, would you recommend it, and why?) how would you go about doing that?

13. FRW

FRW New Member

To go to feeding free choice grain you need to gradually increase the amount up a little every few days.Make sure to watch stools and keep the baking soda and the minerals free choice at all times. Watching the stools is the best way to know if you are ready to give a little more grain.If it is starting to clump don't increase.
    Last year we fed a mixture of oats,barley and soybeans (to a 18 percent ration)to ours at a rate of 1 lb twice a day with free choice alfalfa hay and even our kids born in late April were bred by October with no problems. After they are bred 60 days we start switching them over to a 16 to 18 percent dairy ration(1 lb twice a day) and watch to make sure no one is getting too fat.
    We also gave a coccistat as needed. I found the whole grain mix to be the best fed we have fed.All our girls were given this on the milk stand and supplemented with a dairy feed ration.Our does that milked real heavy stayed in real good condition while milking. You can substitute the alfalfa pellets and grass hay for the alfalfa hay.

14. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Vicki is absolutely right!! I start my babies at less than 10 days old on a feeder. I prop the door open while they are still little so they can find the food. As they get stronger and figure out the "dog feeder" the door is closed to keep out the elements and they have no problem learning to push the door open to eat! :/

By this time of year...it's a little late to put them on free-choice. You've already lost any benefits you should get from the free-choice feeding. They are gaining the most weight in the first 6-8 mo. of age.
    Kaye